I may have made an incorrect change in the Registry.

Reaction score
Looking for a way to change my Logon Screen Background, I found an article instructing a change in the Registry to accomplish this. I followed each step carefully, made the changes, then remembered that the change called for a 32 bit modification, and I have a 64 bit system.

My first inclination was to delete the 32 bit entry, but remembered the warnings of changing the registry while inexperienced.

I am relatively new to using Windows 7, a Kubuntu Linux user for over 20 years, so I thought I should check with experienced people before deleting the 32 bit entry and including a 64 bit entry.

The location of the Registery entry is as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Authentication>LogonUI>Background

The name of the entry is:

OEMBackground REG-DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

My inclination is to want to 'Delete' this entry name, and re-enter as 64 bit. What is the correct conclusion? :(

Thanks!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have a 64-bit system and my entry is only a double-word not a quadruple-word. Unless the tweak told you specifically to enter it as a QWORD then I would leave it. If the tweak says you "need" a QWORD then yes, you would have to delete this one first and then add it back as a QWORD.

On my 64-bit system my OEMBackground is a REG_DWORD with value 0x00000000 (0).

Ask a Question