Files are Locked,Renamed and maybe Encrypted

kev

Reaction score
On a friend computer, we can not open or edit files because they are Locked, Renamed and maybe Encrypted.

We don't understand the reason how that files becomes locked and inaccessible.

Can be Windows Permissions, a Software or a Virus , involved?

Downloading files from Internet with IE is impossible, also.

Anybody know how we can handle this serious issue?

Did someone know where we can ask this question or report this problem to find solutions?

Thank you in advance
Regards

Attachments

Reaction score
West Yorkshire Police hoax virus - UKASH - paysafe card

You are correct - this is a virus, I got hit by this last week, proabably about the same time you did ! Its call the matsnu1 virus - but there are various versions too!

I always work on the basis that a reformat and reinstall is the best way of getting rid of the virus, but there are guides on the net talking you through a live removal.

This is a guide to the one i got, http://remove-free.com/get-rid-west...e-way-unlock-pc-captured-aggressive-scareware

I did a re-install,to a fresh HDD then used a tool called matsnu1decrypt.exe to unencrypt and return the files on my old hdd back to their original format - I've attached a zip file with that in there. You have to have an original non- encrypted file of the same file ie a backup of a file thats not been damaged as a reference file, but then it will do the rest of your harddrive for you.

Good luck!

Attachments

Ask a Question