HP Win 7 Installation problem

Reaction score
Hello folks, I've searched high and low to no avail.

My HP DV6-1334us Notebook came with Windows 7 installed. A few months later I switched to Ubuntu 10.10 and used the entire disk when switching. (There is no Windows partition any more.) I need Windows back on my machine and ordered the HP recovery disks. The installation eventually gets to a point where it tells me to restart and when I do, I get the error message, "Windows could not complete the installation. Restart the installation from the beginning."

I've now tried this no less than seven times on two different hdd's, one of them being brand new, and get the same message each time. I ran both a hard drive and memory test and they both passed.

The notebook's warranty ended two weeks ago and I refuse to pay HP support $50 to help me with this. (They seem pretty useless anyway.)

I'm am completely lost. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did it come with Starter, Home Premium or what? Do you know your product key?

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Home Premium and I do have the product key. (Assuming that its the key on the sticker of the Notebook)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In that case you could download the official Home Premium software from Microsoft, burn it to DVD, and install off that using the product key you have.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
bjohnson0311 - do as TM suggested. That way you won't have to deal with all the crapware that HP puts on their recovery disks.

Just be sure to download the latest drivers for your model laptop from the HP website for the version of Windows 7 you're using, i.e., 32 or 64 bit versions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have issues from that DVD then I would suspect it has something to do with what Ubuntu did so check out this THREAD, especially Core's posting.

Reaction score
Hallelujah!!!! I figured it out! Operator error as usual. I've been up way too long. Thanks again guys.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hallelujah!!!! I figured it out! Operator error as usual. I've been up way too long. Thanks again guys.
Go to bed! A tired operator and doing an install is not a good thing. Especially when it comes to driver installs.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help. I've got it installed, but now I'm having installation problems. The product key on the bottom is sort of rubbed off. There's one character that I can't read. I've tried every possible letter/number. HP and Microsoft were of no help. Hopefully I'll get figured out.
Glad you got it because, yeah they aren't going to be too willing to help you hack one number of a product key :lol: For future reference maybe write it down somewhere else.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So did you get it completely installed? Is it OK to mark this thread as solved?

Please let us know for sure if you are satisfied or simply go to thread tools above the first post on the screen and select mark it solved.

Ask a Question