Windows 7 SP1 installation problem

Reaction score
I tried more than 10 times in installing the SP1 upgrade. All times it failed, giving different errors each time. I tried the HOTFIX, SETUP using original DVD, and other techniques given in Microsoft.com. Nothing works. Sample error codes
0X80070570
... and many more. Even one time it said spinstall.exe is corrupt!

Is there any solution to install SP1. I have Windows 7 professional.
Thanks

Reaction score
Do a clean boot before installing the Service Pack, you can do this by:
  • Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
  • Accept User Account Control permission
  • If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
  • On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
  • Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
  • Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
  • Click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart.
  • After the computer starts, proceed with the installation.
Another task you should try is to check your hard disk for errors:
  • Click Start
  • Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
  • Click ‘Run as Administrator’
  • At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r /f
When you restart your system, your computer will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.

Read more: http://notebooks.com/2011/02/22/how-to-install-windows-7-service-pack-1-sp1/#ixzz1ElMQ9YH7

If you are installing through Windows Update, try downloading the full installer instead:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...2ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda#QuickDetails

windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
903.2 MB

Recommended updates to apply:
System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [February 2011]
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976902)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I tried more than 10 times in installing the SP1 upgrade. All times it failed, giving different errors each time. I tried the HOTFIX, SETUP using original DVD, and other techniques given in Microsoft.com. Nothing works. Sample error codes
0X80070570
... and many more. Even one time it said spinstall.exe is corrupt!

Is there any solution to install SP1. I have Windows 7 professional.
Thanks

Are you stating that you're trying to do a clean install of the Windows 7 SP1 installation DVD? What exactly is going on? If you're doing a clean install do you have the DVD drive set as the first boot device?

Reaction score
Thanks.Two weeks ago I have tried MSCONFIG and disabled the services as you have mentioned and then only posted the problem in the forum. At that time also it didn't work. Now also I tried again and it didn't work. I also did CHKDSK and also tried to install it from downloaded file (903MB). Nothing works. With downloaded method, when I doubleclick the file, after a brief execution (accepting to install SP1), it comes with an error "file not found". There is no help which file is missing and how to recover. About two weeks ago, I didn't have this "file not found" error. It will execute and in the middle (after 10 minutes), it will come up with an error message not installed (with error code; different codes at different times). I also contacted Microsoft help ( in the phone for more than 4 hours) and he accessed my computer remotely. All possibilities, he tried and still the problem is not solved. I don't know what is wrong. The service pack (SP1) and Internet explorer version 9 don't get installed. All other updates from Microsoft get installed by update method. Automatic update also notifies of the update. Now only IE9 is notified and no notification for SP1. Manually I check for updates and SP1 does not come nowadays. SYSTEM files shows no SP1 installed. I don't know what is wrong.
Thanks
Sundaram

Ask a Question