HP Pavilion DV7, Win 7 Ult 64bit, sleep mode freezes computer

Reaction score
I was one of the lucky people who got an advance retail copy of Win 7 Ultimate. I've installed it on my HP Pavilion DV7 laptop and have discovered that both sleep mode and hibernate mode cause the computer to lock up completely requiring a forced power down. When entering sleep or hibernate mode the screen will shut off, you'll see a few seconds of HD activity and then the computer completely locks up. The backlit multimedia keys above the keyboard remain lit (these normally turn off in sleep or hibernate mode) and all keys and buttons are unresponsive except the power button, which I can hold down for 5 seconds to force a power-off. The laptop shipped with Vista Home Premium, both sleep and hibernate modes worked perfectly with Vista.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest one which HP says is needed as it adds Win 7 support. I have read the other threads on the site talking about making changes to the various power settings, I have tried all of those suggestions and nothing seems to work. Unfortunately, the BIOS on this laptop does not have settings where I can edit the S1 and/or S3 modes but, again, sleep/hibernate worked perfectly under the previous OS. Has anyone seen something similar on another system and managed to fix it?

Ask a Question