how to use old driver which is 32-bit in windows 7

Reaction score
hi all,
please help me in using the old driver which is 32-bit in windows 7.
thanks,
muthu

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Muthu,

I don't fully understand the question. Are you trying to use an old 32-bit XP/Vista driver in 32-bit Windows 7?

If you can explain what you are trying to do a little more and we'll do our best to help :). It may also help if you let us know the hardware you need a driver for, as there may be a newer version available.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi muthu and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

We could do with a bit more info

1. System spec
2. whats the driver for
3. what Operating System are you using (32 or 64-bit

Reaction score
Hi ,
i have 64-bit windows 7 operating system in my laptop and my client have some VPN connecting software ,which i need to install and VPN key (ITs something like pendrive which i have to insert) through which i will connect to their server.These s/w works fine in xp and vista 32-bit.

what i need to do these software to work in windows 7 (64-bit).

thanks in advance,
muthu.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Try running the main executable in compatibility mode for Windows Vista or XP. If that doesn't work, look for a new version of the client as it may be updated for Windows 7.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As I understand his question: Muthuselvan's work gave him a security card key (similar in appearance to a flash drive) he has to insert into his computer to access their virtual private network but, it comes with 32-bit drivers and he now has a 64-bit OS.

I would suggest you ask your company (or if you know the manufacturer of the VPN key card you could check their website) for actual 64-bit drivers.

But I guess I would like to also ask the rest of you, is there a way to load 32-bit drivers in a 64-bit OS if no 64-bit drivers are available? (Which would also help muthuselvan if he can't find 64-bit drivers for his problem)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
muthuselvan, from what I have been able to find searching I do not believe 32-bit drivers can be used on a 64 bit windows platform. It seems Microsoft wanted to ensure drivers were written in the proper way so when they switched to 64bit they enforced it with driver signing (ie all 64-bit drivers must be Microsoft-approved, for a fee of course :). MAC leopard decided to allow 32bit drivers on their 64bit OSs to allow for a smoother transistion but that doesn't help us.

To use 32bit drivers in Windows you need a 32bit OS. From what I have read it would be possible to create a dual boot machine with a 32 & 64bit OS but I believe you will need two HDs. I do not know if they can be one Hd with 2 partitions or if they have to be physically seperate drives, as I have not tried this nor looked into it. The other option is to switch completely to 32bit. There is not a huge amount of 64bit-only software anyway so you will need to do what is neccessary for your job.

Best of luck.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
muthuselvan, from what I have been able to find searching I do not believe 32-bit drivers can be used on a 64 bit windows platform. It seems Microsoft wanted to ensure drivers were written in the proper way so when they switched to 64bit they enforced it with driver signing (ie all 64-bit drivers must be Microsoft-approved, for a fee of course :). MAC leopard decided to allow 32bit drivers on their 64bit OSs to allow for a smoother transistion but that doesn't help us.

To use 32bit drivers in Windows you need a 32bit OS. From what I have read it would be possible to create a dual boot machine with a 32 & 64bit OS but I believe you will need two HDs. I do not know if they can be one Hd with 2 partitions or if they have to be physically seperate drives, as I have not tried this nor looked into it. The other option is to switch completely to 32bit. There is not a huge amount of 64bit-only software anyway so you will need to do what is neccessary for your job.

Best of luck.
Hum.. I think you can dual boot 32 and 64bit OSs on one same drive. Though, that will take some space on your HDD.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
@muthu - Just about everyone is having issues with the VPN software on x64 Windows installs. I wish you luck on this one!

You can partition your hard drive and install both versions of Windows 7 on the separate partitions.

@TrainableMan - Not ALL x64 drivers for Windows 7 are WHQL certified. (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) I use several which are not "signed" with no problems.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nibiru, what build are you running? My computer gave me an error when trying to use unlocker, because the driver isn't certified. I have to run test mode in order for it to function.

DLJ

Reaction score
Hi all!
I have a new apple Mac BOOK Pro and I have installed the windows Vista Business and windows 7 upgrade (Both 32 bit) I have tried to get the sound to work but with no luck. The sound works fine on the Apple side but not on Windows 7. I have tried to to scan for needed updated for drivers and I am told that everything is working normally. Still no sound from CD or DVD? Help? :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Nibiru, what build are you running? My computer gave me an error when trying to use unlocker, because the driver isn't certified. I have to run test mode in order for it to function.
This is what SIW gave me:

• Kernel Version 6.1.7600.16539
  • Security 256 bits
  • Product Name Windows 7 Professional
  • Build Lab 7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909
  • Windows Update's version number 7.3.7600.16385

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
DLJ, you might want to start a new thread for that "no sound from Win 7 32-bit running on a Mac BOOK Pro" problem.

I don't own a mac but what I found searching the web:
If you are loading your drivers via Bootcamp you should "try using the BootCamp 3.0 drivers that come on the Snow Leopard DVD.

Unfortunately, BootCamp 3.0 currently isn't available for download from Apple, but with some resourcefulness you should be able to get hold of it."

They also mention make sure you install with administrator rights & you may need to try installing in Vista compatibility mode

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nibiru, do you run Unlocker 1.8.9 w/o any problems (because that is the same build I have)?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
muthuselvan, welcome to the forum! If you have Windows 7 Pro (or above), you can download and use Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode. That may be of help to you, and it's free. Or if you have a 32 bit XP or Vista OS (retail), there are a couple of good virtual machines (VM's) that you can use. There's VM Player, it can be downloaded from File Hippo (without registration), and there's Virtual Box from Oracle. Both are good choices, and are free. Should you require further assistance, always feel free to post back. There's plenty of help around here.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
catilley, what you said made me wonder about my trackball. I went into Virtual PC and installed the old 32-bit Mouseware. I figured a center mouse in virtual would be better than never. It detected the mouse, let me assign the center button to double-click, rebooted to finish the install, and then proceeded to ignore the center button just like 7 does :-(

Win 7 is just like my ex-wife ... says she understands, agrees to do what I ask, then goes off and does whatever the heck she wants.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have used 64 bit rc1 so I could have the newest fixes and still take advantage of my 8gb. Alot more of my programs I regularly use work well with windows 7 64bit compared to Vista 64bit.

Ask a Question