SOLVED How To Slipstream Windows 7 SP1 Into Installation DVD ISO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Here's a handy tutorial for those who are interested. It explains how to "slipstream" the upcoming SP1 RTM release into the Windows 7 install DVD ISO image. That way when you do a new install or reinstall SP1 will be done automatically.

You do have to download a couple of other pieces of software, but it works. Plus you can also "slipstream" the drivers you use to the ISO image created.

Many tweaks too, so you can delete the items you never really use or are interested in.

This is from the IntoWindows.com website. I'll just post the link so as to avoid any copyright issues.

It uses RT Seven Lite application which you'll need to download and the latest WAIK - Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for windows 7 ISO image. (This you burn to a DVD and then install it.)

Download: RT Seven Lite X86 version (32-bit)

Download: RT Seven Lite X64 version (64-bit)

Download: WAIK - Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for windows 7 This is a big download - 1706.6MB as an ISO image file to burn to a blank DVD.

You also need .NET Framework 3.5, but most users have it already on their systems.

Go here for the tutorial: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-slipstream-windows-7-sp1-into-installation-dvd-iso/

You can also install VMware Workstation 7.0 or Virtual PC (For testing your customized OS virtually)

Let me know if y'all have any issues with it. This is a alternative method of installing Windows 7 along with SP1 integrated and other features all in one DVD.

Reaction score
Having just built my PC and installing my first Win7 OS I am still learning about it. When is the SP1 update due out?.

Reaction score
WAIK is no need. What you need is Imagex inside WAIK to export "INSTALL.wim" to make it smaller after your slipstream.

However there is Imagex's GUI called GImageX available for your easy use at

http://www.autoitscript.com/gimagex/

DO NOT FORGET that you can not undo slipstream or uninstall Service Pack from your OS because the slipstream will GET RID OF your original file. :)

DO NOT FORGET to learn how to unmount image in RT_MOUNT using DISM in case of accident such as BSOD or power failure during your slipstream.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
WAIK is no need. What you need is Imagex inside WAIK to export "INSTALL.wim" to make it smaller after your slipstream.

However there is Imagex's GUI called GImageX available for your easy use at

http://www.autoitscript.com/gimagex/

DO NOT FORGET that you can not undo slipstream or uninstall Service Pack from your OS because the slipstream will GET RID OF your original file. :)

DO NOT FORGET to learn how to unmount image in RT_MOUNT using DISM in case of accident such as BSOD or power failure during your slipstream.

The instructions in the OP are for the use of WAIK, so this other tool may confuse users.

I DO NOT recommend using an alternative tool since there is no info for it.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
No, it is the tool to make the new ISO with. W.A.I.K. is Windows Automated Installation Kit.

Reaction score
After slipstream Service Pack 1 RTM to all 11 editions and additional language pack, I have got a 5.15GB of ISO image. Is this Windows 7 AIO too big?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't slipstream to all 11 (actually 9) editions, it's a waste and you really need only only one DVD of either 32 bit or 64 bit.

If you need a separate DVD for 32 and 64 bit, then use the following guide: https://www.w7forums.com/get-four-versions-windows-7-x64-one-dvd-t2911.html

The 32-bit AIO disc is 5 editions: Starter, Basic, Premium Professional and Ultimate.

The 64-bit AIO disc is 4 editions: Basic, Premium, Professional and Ultimate.

So I don't see where you come up with 11 editions.

DON'T USE some AIO ISO you downloaded from a torrent site that's been modified that only God knows what else has been put into it. Use the download links we have sticky in the Installation thread. ALL 32 bit ISO are the same size and so are the 64 bit. It's the "ei.cfg" file that signifies what version to install. Once that's removed you will be given the choice of either the 4 or 5 editions depending on the disc you configure.

Reaction score
The other 2 edition are Enterprise 32-bit and 64-bit. :)

I firstly slipstream only Ultimate 32-bit using RT 7 Lite and hope it would make every 32-bit become SP1 (like the integration) but I was wrong. When I open other 32-bit edition (such as Professional 32-bit) in RT 7 Lite, it shown the Professional 32-bit was not a SP1 one. That was the reason why I have to slipstream all 11 editions.:(

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question regarding a "clean" integration method for Win7 SP1 into my original RTM image.

Through my college institution (www.ma3d.com), I obtained a legal image of Windows 7 Ultimate RTM. With service pack 1 only a couple of weeks away, I'd like to integrate it with my image, along with IE 9 (only when it's final version is released, not the RC).

I would end up with something like:

windows_7_sp1_ie9_x64_four_editions.iso

At the moment, I see two options: using the reverse integration method (as with Vista), or with a tool called RT Se7en Lite (http://www.rt7lite.com). The latter seems obviously less complicated, but I'm not sure whether it's method is "clean" enough.

I mean, I once used VLite (www.vlite.com) to integrate Vista with SP1; I ended up with an image +-/ 1 GB larger than the RTM-image. And when finally, a couple of months later, my college institution released a SP1 integrated image, it was about the same size of the original RTM.

In short: will it be possible to integrate SP1 in such a way that I could not see any difference with an integrated image Microsoft will eventually release?

Reaction score
Hello:
Windows7 x64bit Home Premium (3GB).
Windows7 SP1 (903MB).
Slipstream using http://www.rt7lite.com/ (RTSe7enLite).
Just what is listed above, no extra items slipstreamed.
Finish product: 3.62GB.
I believe the 32 bit will be smaller.
Hope this is of some use.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Can that RT Se7en Lite tool be used for making all of the install discs into one disc? That is, one x86, one x64 disc, for all of the Win 7 OS's.

I'd like to lighten my collection of install discs.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Never mind, I see that you have to have that AIK package installed to use it. From it's looks, it's something for developers/power users.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I was also overflowing with disks, Cat. But now, with an unusually clear mind, I have a plan, as Mcgiver would have said.
I am dumping the lot. I am going to gram the 32/64 bit Home premiums and ultimats, and settle for that. Not a great deal of gain from having the others, with those four on the shelves.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
In short: will it be possible to integrate SP1 in such a way that I could not see any difference with an integrated image Microsoft will eventually release?
One should be able to slipstream the SP1 with no trouble at all. I did it and have not noticed any "uncleanliness"... almost sounds Biblical doesn't it?

Reaction score
One should be able to slipstream the SP1 with no trouble at all. I did it and have not noticed any "uncleanliness"... almost sounds Biblical doesn't it?
LOL :)

and did you also use RT7Lite (like Beamish), or reverse engineering, or via DISM?

Reaction score
Hello:
Windows7 x64bit Home Premium (3GB).
Windows7 SP1 (903MB).
Slipstream using http://www.rt7lite.com/ (RTSe7enLite).
Just what is listed above, no extra items slipstreamed.
Finish product: 3.62GB.
I believe the 32 bit will be smaller.
Hope this is of some use.
(1) did you slipstream only the home premium image, or all images (professional, ultimate, etc...)
(2) will try this myself, but I'll ask it anyway: did RT7lite "clean up" afterwards, or can you still uninstall SP1 afterwards?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
RT 7 Lite does clean up afterwards so no problem there.

SP1 is not unistalled, it is just sitting in a folder somewhere and used by RT 7 Lite for the slipstream. It does not need to be installed on the system doing the slipstream.

Reaction score
There will some folder of SP1 in Windows\winsxs (approx 4,000 folders with 20,000 files). Search for files and folders with SP1 code (6.1.7601.17514) and look up to the file or folder above. That's clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question