how to share files between Win 7 computers in same workgroup?

Reaction score
How can we share files between win 7 computers in the same workgroup, without setting up in same Homegroup?

We tried to avoid to set up homegroup. Because we afraid we will not be able to share files between win 7 homegroup computers and Vista & XP computers?

Thank you.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Home group is just for W7 computers. You can name your network anything but homegroup and W7 should see any shared folders on the other machines easily. To share files from the 7 machine, do as Fire cat says and create folders with full permissions.

Reaction score
Yes, we tried to make this particular folder "share" in the folder property. We can view the name of this shared folder, but do not have "access" to the contents inside the folder. Did we do something wrong with this "share" ?

Reaction score
Actually, we even tried to make entire D: drive to share by everyone. We can see the drive at other computers in the network, but unable to access the inside content of the shared drive.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you try changing the permissions? When you tick the box to share the folder, there is a button to change the properties.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Couple of things to try.

Put some files in the Public folder and try to access them. C:\Users\Public

Also try this. Go to a folder you want to share and try this method.
Right click it and hover your cursor over "share with" and click on "Specific people"

In the drop down list choose everyone and click "add".

Then set your permissions to your liking. Good luck!

Attachments

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Couple of things to try.

Put some files in the Public folder and try to access them. C:\Users\Public

Also try this. Go to a folder you want to share and try this method.
Right click it and hover your cursor over "share with" and click on "Specific people"

In the drop down list choose everyone and click "add".

Then set your permissions to your liking. Good luck!
Yes. But that will only share the files between the users on the computer. Like the public folder. If he wants to access it from othe computers that don't have windows 7 and homegroups, he won't be able to.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hmm..... well I am now accessing files from a Win XP Home machine that I shared using both those methods.

I was just suggesting that young707 try these things that worked for me.

I know Vista and XP pro are a little more secure than XP home but it's worth a try IMO.

Reaction score
OK. We got it working.

In the folder property in the Sharing tab.

Click "Share" - choose people to share with, click pull down tab, select "Everyone", click "Add", in the table below, right of Everyone, click "Permission Level", we pick "Read". Then, in the bottom, we click "Share". The next dialog box is "Your folder is shared", click "done".

Click "Advanced Sharing", [x] check mark Share this folder. Click "OK".

Then, click "OK" of the folder property.

Then, your folder is shared in your Win 7 workgroup network.

Ask a Question