How to make a recovery usb without the option in create recovery?

Reaction score
i want to upgrade to windows 10 but before that i need to make a recovery usb but it is not possible on my computer because i can only make recovery disks, right now i am in lockdown and i cant buy the disks that are needed though i am pretty sure there must be a way to just create a recovery usb so if the upgrade fails i could just recover my windows 7. i am not very tech savvy so help would be very appreciated

I am also going to make a system image so if any files get deleted i could restore it
i don't know if this is the best way or if its just better to copy and paste my c: drive with all videos and pictures to my external hard drive

Reaction score
i want to upgrade to windows 10 but before that i need to make a recovery usb but it is not possible on my computer because i can only make recovery disks, right now i am in lockdown and i cant buy the disks that are needed though i am pretty sure there must be a way to just create a recovery usb so if the upgrade fails i could just recover my windows 7. i am not very tech savvy so help would be very appreciated

I am also going to make a system image so if any files get deleted i could restore it
i don't know if this is the best way or if its just better to copy and paste my c: drive with all videos and pictures to my external hard drive
Unless you have a really good reason for wanting to change from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I would be inclined to leave well alone, especially at this time. The last thing you want is to mess up your computer, and be without the internet. For what it's worth I loaded Windows 10 into my Windows 7 laptop when it first came out and was free. I hated it and took it out. Really couldn't see that there was any advantage to it.

Reaction score
The good reason for changing frome Windows 7 to Windows 10 is that Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Reaction score
Hi Rivoli. You are right, windows 7 isn't supported by Microsoft anymore. But, as long as you have a decent antivirous package, such as Norton, I don't think there is much to worry about, at least for a year or two, by which time, hopefully, microsoft will come up with a decent replacement for windows 10. Just to remind myself what I didn't like about windows 10, I have just loaded it into this old laptop that has windows 7. No, still prefer windows 7, but I'll leave it installed. Maybe I'll grow to love it. But, have kept OPERA browser, as I really can't stand windows 10 browser.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are only upgrading because Win7 support ended I would discourage it. Loss of support has little effect. The point of support is to patch flaws in the system. After 10 years the system is quite stable. The only concern is if hackers find a new flaw it would no longer get patched. But that is less likely as well because they had 10 years to find them already and are more likely to have moved on to newer OSes.

The biggest weakness in any system are the user doing something stupid such as visiting risky websites or downloading things off the internet and granting them permission and it turning out to be harmful. Even good software, especially freeware, may include extra software that is unneeded and slows your system. So research what you download, read the fine print when installing software … and most importantly what John mentioned: keep a good anti-virus software installed.

Upgrading can lead to its' own hassles. Have you ever had to buy a new printer or scanner because there are no drivers for the new OS? because I have.

Reaction score
If you are only upgrading because Win7 support ended I would discourage it. Loss of support has little effect. The point of support is to patch flaws in the system. After 10 years the system is quite stable. The only concern is if hackers find a new flaw it would no longer get patched. But that is less likely as well because they had 10 years to find them already and are more likely to have moved on to newer OSes.

The biggest weakness in any system are the user doing something stupid such as visiting risky websites or downloading things off the internet and granting them permission and it turning out to be harmful. Even good software, especially freeware, may include extra software that is unneeded and slows your system. So research what you download, read the fine print when installing software … and most importantly what John mentioned: keep a good anti-virus software installed.

Upgrading can lead to its' own hassles. Have you ever had to buy a new printer or scanner because there are no drivers for the new OS? because I have.
I mentioned in an earlier posting on this subject that after reading ProMaz's comment on 22nd April, I had loaded Windows 10 into this recently purchased refurbished DELL laptop, to remind me what Windows 10 was like. (I purchased the DELL as a backup in case my ACER gave up the ghost while, like millions of others, I am in lockdown. Paranoid I suppose). Given that you can still download Windows 10 for free in it went. To start with it was so so slow not only loading up, but in use. That I remembered from when I put Windows 10 into my ACER when it first came out. But, try as I might, as before I found I still could not live with Windows 10. Too gimmicky. It reminded me of those hi-fi's of twenty or so years ago with all the pointless knobs and lights. So I've taken it out, and gone back to my beloved Windows 7. Just a word of warning to anyone who wants to try loading Windows 10, and then changes their mind. You only have 10 days from the time you load it, to uninstall it. after that you are stuck with it. The original free offer gave you a 30 day option). One thing I really miss on this laptop though is Windows Live Photo Gallery which I loaded into my ACER from new many years ago. Unfortunately that is now no longer available, and this DELL obviously never had it installed. Why on earth it was never included as standard with Windows 7 is a mystery, given that it was free anyway. (Windows 10 does have a photo manipulation programme built in I found, but it doesn't compare to Windows live Photo Gallery).

Ask a Question