SOLVED How to create pre-installed windows 7 recovery disc?

Reaction score
A few day ago, I just bought a new Laptop ( Lenovo ) & it preinstall with windows 7 . So now, I have to make my own 'Operating System Recovery Disc' for my preinstall Windows 7 (incase if anything going wrong I can reinstall my laptop) since all the recovery disc set provide for that laptop is for Windows 8 . I read the *manual, and it says;-

" If your computer is preinstall with windows 7 operating system and also is supplied with a license for the Windows 8 operating system, Lenovo might provide you with a set of Windows 8 recovery disc that match your operating system license. Before using the Windows 8 recovery disc to convert your system, it is recomended that you create windows 7 recovery media incase you want to restore the Windows 7 operating system on your computer at a later date.

To create produce recovery media on the Windows 7 operating system, click Start > All Programs. Then, click Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools> Factory Recovery Disk or ThinkVantage > Create Recovery Media."

I once ask the retailer how can I reinstall the laptop, and he said that I just have to press a 'Onekey' button which have been provided on every Lenovo laptop, but as i remember he said to me that ' If you want to reformat you pc, just press this button' not reinstall & As far as i know reformat & reinstall is tow different process, isnt?

So, I just want to double check about a few things : -
  1. I already did what it say above ( the*manual) , but is that method only create recovery disc only for the media or for all ( which mean its including the Windows 7 operating system, applications, and drivers) ?
  • If its doesn't including the Windows 7 operating system, applications, and drivers, so do I make a pre-installed windows 7 Professional Operating System disc? Are the process same as you make a normal Windows 7 Operating System disc?)
2. If I use the 'Onekey' button, do it will format my laptop to my pre-installation Windows 7 or to the Windows 8?

3. Can you use a recovery disc to reinstall Windows ?

* I try to read & undersatnd the instruction on Lenovo offical website (Windows 8 - Downgrade Instructions), but I couldn't understand it properly, the instruction make me confuse ( English is not my mother tongue language.)*

Reaction score
I don't know where did you find that " manual" about creating Recovery Discs. Windows 8 has NOTHING to do with what you are planning to do.

Please use this tutorial which is written for Lenovo Windows 7.
Read the instructions line by line. If you have questions , stop and post back with your questions.
Creating Recovery Media in Windows 7.....
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-74040

Regarding the One key button....
For your future reference only. The tutorial posted above should be the one you are using now.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPa...ry-Disc-with-One-Key-Recovery-7-0/ta-p/548861

Reaction score
Solution for my question ( as far for now..I will update later)

1. I already did what it say above ( the*manual) , but is that method only create recovery disc only for the media or for all ( which mean its including the Windows 7 operating system, applications, and drivers) ?
  2. If I use the 'Onekey' button, do it will format my laptop to my pre-installation Windows 7 or to the Windows 8?
  3. Can you use a recovery disc to reinstall Windows ?
  1. ANSWER : -
  1. Yes, Lenovo website said: - A recovery media is a general term for media containing a backupof the original factory condition or a favored condition of a computer as configured by an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or an end-user. OEM media allows the user to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the operating system and pre-loaded software as it was when it was shipped.
  2. Lenovo website said : - "Using Lenovo OneKey Recovery 7.0 to create optical recovery disks that can restore your notebook back to "Factory Default" condition." but I'm not sure if it restore back to my pre install OS ( Windows 7) or Windows 8.....
  3. Yes

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you create recovery media it is the media that came installed, so if it came running Win 7 then that is what you burned to DVD and that is what will be installed if you use the recovery DVD(s) you made.

It sounds like Lenovo did include Win8 DVDs so if you want Win8 instead then simply run those.

And yes reformatting is different than reinstalling. If you reformat the hard drive everything is wiped out but you will still need to install. Depending on if the DVD media is upgrade or a factory restore it may not or may wipe out all your data anyway. The Win7 DVDs you just created are almost definitely factory restore and likely will warn you that all data will be lost if you use them; the Win8 DVD(s) they included could be an upgrade in which case everything gets backed up to a folder called windows.old if you do not reformat first. The truth is whether reinstalling or upgrading you never know what might go wrong so it is always a good idea to back up your data to a separate hard drive or flash drive before trying either one.

Reaction score
When you create recovery media it is the media that came installed, so if it came running Win 7 then that is what you burned to DVD and that is what will be installed if you use the recovery DVD(s) you made.

It sounds like Lenovo did include Win8 DVDs so if you want Win8 instead then simply run those.

And yes reformatting is different than reinstalling. If you reformat the hard drive everything is wiped out but you will still need to install. Depending on if the DVD media is upgrade or a factory restore it may not or may wipe out all your data anyway. The Win7 DVDs you just created are almost definitely factory restore and likely will warn you that all data will be lost if you use them; the Win8 DVD(s) they included could be an upgrade in which case everything gets backed up to a folder called windows.old if you do not reformat first. The truth is whether reinstalling or upgrading you never know what might go wrong so it is always a good idea to back up your data to a separate hard drive or flash drive before trying either one.
Thank you so much for you answer, Your answer definitely answering all my questions. I really appreciate it :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I apologise for butting in.

I have always been reluctant to make use of "recovery" media from the OEM manufacturer. The problem is, that, should you venture into dual boot situations, the factory restore recovery media will delete yor alternative OS.

My action, in your situation, would be to make an image of your Windows 7 installation. For this, there are various programs some paid, several free. I use Acronis, for which you have to pay, but "Macrium" is an excellent free choice.
Make an image of the whole system. You can then try out the Windows 8 disks. I have no idea if they would permit you to make a dual boot setup, with Windows 7, but, if so, that would be my first choice. Whatever choice you do make, when compltet, make another image of what is then on your HD.

Best of all worlds (imo)

Reaction score
I apologise for butting in.

I have always been reluctant to make use of "recovery" media from the OEM manufacturer. The problem is, that, should you venture into dual boot situations, the factory restore recovery media will delete yor alternative OS.

My action, in your situation, would be to make an image of your Windows 7 installation. For this, there are various programs some paid, several free. I use Acronis, for which you have to pay, but "Macrium" is an excellent free choice.
Make an image of the whole system. You can then try out the Windows 8 disks. I have no idea if they would permit you to make a dual boot setup, with Windows 7, but, if so, that would be my first choice. Whatever choice you do make, when compltet, make another image of what is then on your HD.

Best of all worlds (imo)
Thank you for the suggestion & I really appreciate it:)

Ask a Question