How to change 64-bit to 32-bit

Reaction score
Please help me... I upgrade my PC into windows 7 but its 64-bit.My old programs cannot work in 64-bit only in 32-bit.how can I change it to 32-bit?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First question would be WHY to you want 32-bit?

Everything will be lost but yes, it is possible. Download the ISO for the version you have (Home Premium, Professional, etc). Then back up all your data. Then format the Harddrive and install the 32-bit version, recreate your account(s)/userid(s), restore all your data, and install all the programs.

Reaction score
You can run your old programs in compatibility mode, XP or Vista. Just right click your program icon and select properties, then select compatibility mode..set it and click apply/ok and that should do it.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
bassfisher6522 is correct and if you want to change completely to 32bit it will require a complete clean install.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can run your old programs in compatibility mode, XP or Vista.
Only if the OPs old programs are 32-bit. Very old 16-bit programs can not run in a 64-bit system but they can run on a 32-bit system.

Another alternative, if you have W7 Professional or have access to XP disks is to keep the 64-bit system but run a Virtual 32-bit XP machine and run the 16-bit apps in the virtual environment.

Ask a Question