SOLVED How do I change the background color of my Taskbar in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit?

Reaction score
I have changed the desktop background to an image in black and white with some gray. The background of the Taskbar?? or Startbar is pale blue.

If I had my desire, I would have the background of the Taskbar (Startbar) be transparent, however, the Windows 7 Pro thinks I have less than 64MB of memory in my graphics card. Actually I have 2GB of DDR5 memory in my graphics card.

I am a rookie Windows user. I have been operating Kubuntu Linux for over 20 years; I need the compatibility afforded Windows by equipment manufacturers for my new upscale build.

I am probably embarrassing myself, for this type of adjustment is probably easy stuff for the Windows users of the world. Thanks for any help you may provide. :)

Reaction score
Right click on desktop and select personalize. From there you should see "Window Color", where you can set the color of the window frame and taskbar. Unfortunately without a hacking utility or manually editing your system files, there is no way (that I know of) to make it completely transparent.

Reaction score
Right click on desktop and select personalize. From there you should see "Window Color", where you can set the color of the window frame and taskbar. Unfortunately without a hacking utility or manually editing your system files, there is no way (that I know of) to make it completely transparent.
Apparently my video card cannot handle "Aero". It is pretty upscale too, a gaming card. :(

Reaction score
You should be able to change the color either way. Aero is a transparency effect, the color is a different effect.

Reaction score
You should be able to change the color either way. Aero is a transparency effect, the color is a different effect.
Thank you for your help. While working the problem yesterday, I did something that finally revealed the Aero application and was able to make the required changes.

I feel pretty stupid, because I don't really know what I did. One minute I was looking at a window that showed basic colors for a windows screen, and very limited options, none of which allowed for changing to Aero options. The next moment I had a screen with all those pastel color options and the ability to make the desired transparency changes.

I hate when I accept terrific help and get the desired result, then due to my own error, not really learn from the result. Thanks for your valuable time and help. :)

Ask a Question