Help needed... How to change from 64 bit to 32 bit in windows7

Reaction score
i installed my microsoft os step by step on my new laptop, as i am not clear with the functions of the os, i accidentally installed 64-bit os instead of the 32-bit os. So now, i am not able to install any devices or software on to my computer as it says that it doesnt support the installation in 64-bit os. Please help as to how to change the os as i really cannot do anything without downloading my needed software.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello manyun! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! Merry Christmas too!

What software is not installing on your 64-bit Windows 7? Nearly all 32-bit software will work on a 64-bit OS.

Is this install a new install on a laptop you previously owned or did you buy the laptop and it gave you the option of 64 or 32-bit OS?

Give us some more information please, we're not mind readers so as much info as you can supply will help us with your problem(s).

Thank You,
~Nibs

Reaction score
If this is an option for you, download the 64-bit drivers and software and enjoy. If not, you'll need to reformat and reinstall with the x86 version.

If you need help, let us know. : )

Reaction score
i have a broadband device that i am suppose to install the program first before i am able to use it. However, when it is downloading halfway, a pop-up will states, "Installation will not continue as this software does not support run under 64-bit" and besides that, i am also trying to download a movie player and also get the same results too. The laptop that i am using is just a few days new and the computer gave me a option of 32 bit and 64 bit. Is there anyway i can change it?? really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The way to change it is to start over with a fresh install - you can't just convert your current installation. BUT - you really should be able to run in 64-bit mode. Certainly your computer supports 64-bit. 64-bit has been around for several years and the vast majority of add-on hardware has 64-bit drivers. Many software makers make 64-bit versions of their programs and most (like 99%) 32-bit software works in 64-bit environments.

There are many advantages to 64-bit operation that make trying to get this sorted out worthwhile. Even if all your programs are 32-bit, Windows itself running in 64-bit results in better performance.

You do have to ensure you select 64-bit when you download and install new drivers and programs so go back to where you found the broadband device driver and look for a 64-bit version. If you still don't see it, tell us the brand and model number and we will help find it for you.

You have a brand new computer. Don't you want to get the most out of it?

Reaction score
i have a broadband device that i am suppose to install the program first before i am able to use it. However, when it is downloading halfway, a pop-up will states, "Installation will not continue as this software does not support run under 64-bit"
Have you searched for the x64 driver (using another PC to do so)? Chances are it is available for your broadband device (of course if it's not too old) at the manufacturer's support site.

Ask a Question