SOLVED Can I Change to 64bit Windows 7

Reaction score
I currently am running Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit and want to change to 64bit, I have no installation disc as I didn't get one and my laptop says it supports 64 bit. Is there a possible way to convert to 64 bit??

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Possible, Yes ... Easy, No.

It requires a complete reinstall

Download W7 Home Prem x64 SP1 from HERE and burn it to DVD with an image burner program like IMGBurn.

Note you will want to back up all your data first (Windows Easy Transfer is a good way to do this). And then restore it once 64 bit is installed. You will also then have to reinstall all your programs (any that came free with your 32 bit computer will likely be lost unless they can be downloaded from the manufacturers site). It's also a good idea to download the 64-bit drivers prior to the reinstall, just in case you can't, for example, get the network connection to work to download them after install.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The truth is, it will install almost all of them automatically and if it has network connectivity it will download the rest (some of them after restart). The issue is if you have something unusual, like RAID drives then it will need drivers just to install and if for instance it doesn't have to network driver or the bus driver to even reach the network card then you won't be able to connect to get them so it's just a good idea to have a CD with what you can find. If you don't, and you have access to another computer, then you can likely just use it do download what you need if you do run into a problem.

As for using a driver program, they can be extremely dangerous, plus they need network connectivity to work so if it is your network driver that is missing then you are out of luck with a driver program. If you do decide to try a driver program be sure to scan it for viruses before you install (many are just malware or adware) and if it is legit then understand they are often wrong so only install one driver at a time, making a restore point before every install and rebooting after each install. Generally I think you are better off checking the Windows Updates Optional updates for your drivers, and unfortunately even Microsoft makes a mistake and recommends the wrong ones so restore points there too.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Just be sure the drivers you do use that are not automatically installed come from the Toshiba site. Some of those drivers are brand specific.

Reaction score
I have downloaded from the link u sent me(TrainableMan) and burned to ImgBurn.
But when I try to install i get past the first screen and click on 'Install Now' , It then comes up with this message: Load Driver
A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. if you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.
Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step.

Please help what do I do? I am not a nerd in computer programming so please explain in a simple way. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Dont worry guys. I downloaded it from another link and I succesfully have 64 bit operating :) Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I have one problem; My Bluetooth isn't working. I've downloaded and Installed the driver from the Toshiba Site but in device manager it says:
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Any solutions??

Last edited:

Ask a Question