Hitachi HDD Vs Seagate HDD

Reaction score
HI,
I have lenevo thinkpad w510, and I'm planning ot upgrade the storage to 320 GB , I need to choose either Seagate ST9320423AS and HITACHI HTS725032A9A364Kindly suggest the good one, in terms of reliability and performance.

Regards,
Vijay.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know how much it is in your country but on this side of the world we can get a 500GB for about US$10 more than the 320GB.

Personally I have always liked Seagate/Maxtor & Western Digital and currently I have 2 Samsung 1TB Spinrite drives I like very much but all mine are 3.5" for deesktops. I had a bad experience with a Hitachi 3.5" drive being extremely hot and noisy so I won't try them again but I'm sure you will find other people with Seagate/Maxtor issues. The reviews seem to be higher for the Hitachi Travelstar; apparently several people had to exchange the Seagate Momentus because they died.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
The Seagate has twice as much cache (according to some sites) so assuming that's correct that's a no-brainer if these two are your options.

http://diskcompare.com/ is a pretty good site from what I can tell, for comparing drives, features, prices, etc.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If it were me, I would go with either a Western Digital Black Scorpio or a Samsung. Both are good, high-quality drives. Seagate has been suffering some quality issues lately and I personally would shy away from them. They used to be the best, but not anymore.

Of course it depends on what is available where you live too.

EDIT:
Upon further research, I noticed that both drives are 7200 RPM drives and both have a 16 MB cache. The Hitachi website confirmed the cache size for me.

Also that is one sweet laptop you have there! I'm a little covetous to say the least.

Hitachi took over the hard drive business from IBM several years ago and they have done an excellent job with them. Again if it were my choice between the two HDD you're asking about I would go with the Hitachi since their reliability is very good. The 320GB size is perfect for a laptop also. To go to a bigger hard drive would be really not much benefit or use, if you need more storage I would recommend investing in an external hard drive that you could connect via a USB 2.0 port or an eSATA port since your Lenovo has an eSATA port on the rear of the computer. eSATA connections are extremely fast and you can do large file transfers quite quickly.

Last edited:

Ask a Question