Hey Bing, Happy 1st Birtday; Google’s copying you!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

By Windows Club | June 4th, 2010

Happy first birthday, Bing. You have come a long way since June 3, 2009!

“You’ve successfully gained significant market share in a year – from 8 percent in May 2009 to 11.8 percent in April 2010, according to comScore. And you’ve introduced cool features like Bing Travel, Bing Shopping and the Silverlight-powered version of Bing Maps. People love your big home-page photos. So, for your first birthday, Google is giving you the best kind of present : Imitation.”

This is interesting, considering how proud Google is of its simple, white, plain home page. Remember, just six months ago Google introduced an even simpler home page, the extra buttons and options fading in.

Now, Google has gone in the other direction. It is rolling out the new feature to all users over the next few days

Danny Sullivan, editor-in-chief of Search Engine Land, asked Google’s Marissa Mayer whether her company was copying Bing.

“The real motivation for this had to do with iGoogle,” said Mayer, Google’s vice president of search products and user experience. “Some users really prefer the classic look but want a small amount of personalization, so this is a happy medium in between.”

Source.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
iGoogle's had backgrounds for ages. Tbh one of the reasons I don't like Bing all that much is all the focus on graphics. I just want a search field and a good indexer. That's all. I don't need themes and animations and other bullcrap.

Reaction score
iGoogle's had backgrounds for ages. Tbh one of the reasons I don't like Bing all that much is all the focus on graphics. I just want a search field and a good indexer. That's all. I don't need themes and animations and other bullcrap.
+1 for emphasis.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Bing's popularity is gaining ground, just as all three great Windows releases are from last year (Win 7, Bing & MSE). Time will tell the truth about Bing, just as it will with 7 & MSE. After all, we are Windows customers, no one led us here by gunpoint. Have confidence in the corporation that you depend on for your everyday computing. As far as your choice of a browser, that's your decision to make. We all have our own opinion's, and they should be respected. Use what you wish, I do.
:birthday:
With that said, Happy Birthday, Bing!

Cat

Ask a Question