Confused with results after merging 2 partitions--they appear as 2 & as 1 depending on where u look

Reaction score
I went to 'Disk Management'. I had an E: drive and F: drive

I R-clicked on the E, 'delete volume'--pop up window clicked Yes, now had unlocated space on that drive. I then r-clicked on in F: drive, 'Extend the volume' and voila-it's done. However, instead of now seeing those 2 drives become one (Both F:) I actually see 2 of them both named ' F: '. Shouldn't they be one? If I go to my computer I no longer see the E: drive meaning the merging did succeed. But I'm confused as to why 'Disk Management' shows 2 of them (F:). Any advice? I want to change my drive letters (So that H: becomes, G:, and G: Becomes F: and F: becomes E:) and with 2 F's I think something may go wrong.

Thank you

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No, nothing is wrong. Have you rebooted? See if it is still like that after reboot.

Either way go into Disk Management after rebooting and change drive letters how you want.

Reaction score
No, nothing is wrong. Have you rebooted? See if it is still like that after reboot.

Either way go into Disk Management after rebooting and change drive letters how you want.
Thank you.Yes, sorry to have forgotten to mention it but it's still the same. But rename what? F: to F:? I know I could rename the other ones but what of these 2? And until I have these cleared I don't want to risk naming anything else.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you post a screenshot of Disk Management?

And assigning a letter to a partition has no effect on the partition. It is an arbitrary association to make things easier, so if you change H: to E: the only concern would be settings files (for example .ini) and registry entries that are coded to H:

Last edited:
Reaction score

And assigning a letter to a partition has no effect on the partition. It is an arbitrary association to make things easier, so if you change H: to E: the only concern would be settings files (for example .ini) and registry entries that are coded to H:

OK thanks I have attached it. Would you mind explaining how you would think that settings files and registry entries would not be of concern. To me this would be of great concern since such files and reg entries are there for a reason.--thanks again

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No, I said settings and registry WOULD be the only concern. In other words you aren't going to physically hurt any files on the partitions simply by changing the drive letter associations but the issue you may run into is problems actually running the programs or running the programs' uninstallers if they have stored the specific installation drive letter somewhere.

I've never used RAID myself but it appears to me like you have a RAID configuration for F:, in other words two identical partitions with exact copies of each other. So your 1.5TB drive is split up into three 500GB drives with the last two being identical.

Reaction score
No, I said settings and registry WOULD be the only concern. In other words you aren't going to physically hurt any files on the partitions simply by changing the drive letter associations but the issue you may run into is problems actually running the programs or running the programs' uninstallers if they have stored the specific installation drive letter somewhere.

I've never used RAID myself but it appears to me like you have a RAID configuration for F:, in other words two identical partitions with exact copies of each other. So your 1.5TB drive is split up into three 500GB drives with the last two being identical.
It appears that the problem is because the F: drive (which included the D; and included the E:) are 'Dynamic' type and not 'Basic' so the key would be to 1st change them to 'simple'

Ask a Question