SOLVED Win 7 updates won't install - they revert back

Reaction score
I recently had to reinstall Win 7 from my Original Win 7 Ultimate 64bit disk. I reformatted the drive and did a clean install. After installation I then installed Microsoft Office Pro 2010, Paint Shop Pro Ultimate X7, Word Perfect Office X7, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2013 and Adobe Acrobat X Pro (all legal, original software). I also installed McAfee Antivirus Plus (latest version), and upgraded IE from the original version 8 on the Win 7 Ultimate DVD to version 11.

Win 7 will automatically search for updates to it's program(s) overnight and ask if I want to install the updates. When I select ok, it goes into the updating process. It will get approximately halfway through the update process (around 58%) then freezes up. If I reboot the machine to try again it will then give the message "reverting back". In looking at the Windows Update tab through the Control Panel, I see that I have 168 updates that need to be made. I instruct the computer to install the updates and get into the cycle again described above,

I need some help! Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to reformat yet again and try reinstalling everything over? Perhaps upgrade to the latest patches and fixes for Win 7 Ultimate before I install any additional software? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ed Wood

Reaction score
Thanks for the link and help.

After posting my problem, yesterday afternoon, I decided to try doing partial upgrades. I did 40 upgrades at a time. During this process, I only found 1 that would not install. A second try successfully installed that update.

I ran the Fix-it for Windows Update, and it reported that there were not any issues. I suppose that the large number of updates (168) plus the 1 update that would not install was what was causing the initial problem.

Again, thanks for your help and suggestion.

Ask a Question