Help with new build

Reaction score
I'm building a new PC for the Wife and have a question about upgrading XP sp2 to Win 7 64. She only plays cards and email on it.
My Parts list is this.
Gigabyte Motherboard - 880GM-UD2H

CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2 GHz 2x512 KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor

GPU - Evga GeForce GT 430 1 GB DDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card

PS - Silverstone 400W SST-ST40OF-ES

RAM - Crucial CT2CP25664BA1339 4GB 2GBx2 240-pin PC3-10600 DIMM DDR3

Hard Drive - W.D. 150g Raptor O/S drive & 80g Back-Up Drive

Will I have any problems going to 64bit windows? After I install the XP cd will I have to download and install the million updates for XP first?

Thank You
Jack

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Just install the Windows 7. As far as I am aware you can't upgrade XP to 7.

If you've got an "upgrade" CD/DVD you can still do a clean install with it. See how at Paul Thurrott's site.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No you shouldn't bother with doing the XP updates because all W7 does is move the system files to Windows.old.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
As Elmer stated, do not even bother with installing Windows XP. Just use the Windows 7 install DVD and do a clean or 'custom' install as Windows 7 calls it.

If you haven't bought your Windows 7 DVD yet, avoid the "Upgrade" version and just buy an OEM version and you'll save money. The only drawback is the fact that there will be no tech support via Microsoft.

Reaction score
So XP 32 bit Can't be upgraded to Win 7 64 bit with a Upgrade DVD? I have to buy the full version of win 7?

I have a Win XP 64 cd too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So XP 32 bit Can't be upgraded to Win 7 64 bit with a Upgrade DVD? I have to buy the full version of win 7?

I have a Win XP 64 cd too.
Check out this chart - Upgrading your PC to Windows 7. The chart should better explain what your options are.

You can upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. However you can not choose the upgrade option during install. Windows Vista is the only one that will allow you to upgrade and keep all your programs and settings.

Reaction score
I still don't understand I guess I'm to old. Just show me which win7 dvd to buy please.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Microsoft legally calls it an upgrade from XP to W7 and so it is a valid licensing path if you own an XP license but migrating from XP requires a completely fresh install from the upgrade disks so there is no need to have XP actually installed.

Did you already buy a copy? If so what version did you buy?

Reaction score
I did not order the DVD yet. I have a full version on my PC but after spending 300.00 on it I was hoping to do the upgrade on her's.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nibs is always in favor of the full version, although to save money he often suggests the OEM full version. The pricing for the upgrade version is usually somewhere between those two.

Personally I am very happy with the upgrade version and when going from XP it is identical except that I have to maintain my XP license (it's a little sticker on the back of my computer so no big deal).

The full version and OEM version do not require you to legally already own XP or Vista like the upgrade does. One further difference is that the OEM version does not include Microsoft support, the installer must provide their own support.

So Me personally, I figure you already have the upgrade version and I would simply pop in the W7 64-bit disk and install it on your new build. As long as you maintain the old XP license then you are perfectly legal and you are entitled to Microsoft support.

EDIT: Oh, I just saw your latest post. You haven't bought it yet. Well then to save money you should consider the OEM 64-bit. It does not require XP be installed at all.

Some potentially small issues to note about the legal rights/responsibilities with the OEM. This is a full version, you do not need any other license. Once activated, you are not legally able to move it to another computer (replacing the mobo with anything other than an identical board is ALSO considered a new computer) so if the computer dies the license dies with it. And as mentioned there is no Microsoft support.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reinstalling Windows 7 upgrade without installing XP or Vista.
Saturday, 22 January 2011 23:23
Here is a a nifty little trick that Microsoft themselves built into the Windows 7 Upgrade disc, it contains the full version of the OS, all Upgrade discs do, this will work for Vista too. It's called the 'double install method.'
If for whatever reason you need to do a clean install of Windows 7 due to viruses or malware you can't get rid of, etc here is all you have to do:
Insert your Windows 7 Upgrade disc into your computer and reboot. Once it loads select your language. After that it will ask you if you want to 'Upgrade' or 'Custom Install' select custom install. It will show you your hard drives select the one you want and then click 'advanced' at the bottom right of the screen and select Format to format your hard drive. It will format the drive and then continue to proceed to install.
Now the important part once it gets the screen to add your registration key, SKIP IT for now, and continue to let Windows 7 install. Then run the Update Manager to get the latest updates and drivers if need be.
Now insert your Windows 7 Upgrade disc again and now select the 'Upgrade' option for the install let it run it's install again this time it take shorter to do. Now when it asks for your registration key you can now enter it or you can enter it in at Control Panel> System and Security> System after the install is done.
The reason why you have to do it this way is because when you do a custom install the OS puts system info that's a clean system and your registration key will only work for an Upgrade, so when you install it again as an Upgrade the OS marks it as an upgrade and not a clean install. It's a perfectly legit way to do it and Microsoft themselves programmed it to be that way.

Apologize for not being able to give attribution for the above.
Added personal info: Install Motherboard Drivers, video, sound, sata hard drive, lan and utilities.
Follow this with external hard ware and programs, utilities, (remember serial numbers), if needed.
Create a Aconis Image and install on external hard drive.

As noted by others,
http://www.winsupersite.com/windows7.aspx
has this infomation.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Beamish's info is helpful to avoid reinstalling XP or Vista if you had the upgrade version, but since you said price is a factor and you haven't bought it yet, I have to agree with Nibs on the Full OEM 64-bit version.

Reaction score
I would definitely get a bigger Power supply 400 is low if you are ever have to change to a newer video card or add more equipment later, I would go with 759 watt or higher

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
She only plays cards and email on it.
I think it is enough power to handle the current video card. And that GPU is just fine for playing cards and processing email.

If you ever switch to a higher power video card you may need 500-600 watts or even 750 for dual video gaming cards. If you haven't bought it yet and think you might go bigger in the future then it's probably worth the extra $10-$25 now but if you already have that PSU then I sure wouldn't junk it until you upgrade the video later.

Reaction score
Reinstalling Windows 7 upgrade without installing XP or Vista.
Saturday, 22 January 2011 23:23
Here is a a nifty little trick that Microsoft themselves built into the Windows 7 Upgrade disc, it contains the full version of the OS, all Upgrade discs do, this will work for Vista too. It's called the 'double install method.'
If for whatever reason you need to do a clean install of Windows 7 due to viruses or malware you can't get rid of, etc here is all you have to do:
Insert your Windows 7 Upgrade disc into your computer and reboot. Once it loads select your language. After that it will ask you if you want to 'Upgrade' or 'Custom Install' select custom install. It will show you your hard drives select the one you want and then click 'advanced' at the bottom right of the screen and select Format to format your hard drive. It will format the drive and then continue to proceed to install.
Now the important part once it gets the screen to add your registration key, SKIP IT for now, and continue to let Windows 7 install. Then run the Update Manager to get the latest updates and drivers if need be.
Now insert your Windows 7 Upgrade disc again and now select the 'Upgrade' option for the install let it run it's install again this time it take shorter to do. Now when it asks for your registration key you can now enter it or you can enter it in at Control Panel> System and Security> System after the install is done.
The reason why you have to do it this way is because when you do a custom install the OS puts system info that's a clean system and your registration key will only work for an Upgrade, so when you install it again as an Upgrade the OS marks it as an upgrade and not a clean install. It's a perfectly legit way to do it and Microsoft themselves programmed it to be that way.

Apologize for not being able to give attribution for the above.
Added personal info: Install Motherboard Drivers, video, sound, sata hard drive, lan and utilities.
Follow this with external hard ware and programs, utilities, (remember serial numbers), if needed.
Create a Aconis Image and install on external hard drive.

As noted by others,
http://www.winsupersite.com/windows7.aspx
has this infomation.

I Tried to do this but when I do (On a new Raptor 300g HD) this is what happens.

First it says Boot From CD/DVD,, so it dose after 10 sec.
then: Windows is Loading Files, with the gray bar across the bottom,
Then: Starting Windows Screen , happens
Then: The Blue Screen with Leaves and a Dove in the lower middle of the screen.
And thats all it dose it just stays on that screen, the mouse moves and everything so it isn't froze up.
Do I have to install the windows XP 64 cd first?

Thanks Jack

Reaction score
This is why I have dual boot machine with Vista 32 on a separate hard drive, If I ever had to do a complete clean install my W7 disk would see my Vista on the other drive

Reaction score
It looks like the motherboard has something wrong with it, It won't accept any Hard Drives or O/S . I tried XP pro 32, XP Pro 64, Win 7 full. and 4 different Hard Drives. Nothing will load.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The leaves and Hummingbird should be off to the right and your userid sign-on should be in the middle it sounds like it's locking up at sign-on.

Ask a Question