Help on Building a new computer

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently found this forum and was hoping to find some guidance on potentially building a new desktop. I noticed there was some great information that was provided to someone else in regards to building a gaming desktop so I thought I would post as well.

I am a futures trader and I will use this computer on a daily basis. I am looking to build a computer that will support up to 6 monitors as I view various data on different screens. I would like to build a computer that can handle large amounts of incoming data, as I pull information directly from exchanges.

I currently am using an HP, with an I5 processor, and supports 3 monitors. I have 6GB of RAM, but would like to have at a minimum 8GB of RAM on this new PC, as some of the programs I run are memory intense.

I have never built a computer before but am technically competent and feel confident with given the proper direction I could accomplish the task.

Any advice, and or suggestions on a set up would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

Reaction score
Research, research and more research....read and read. But the actual physical build of a PC is the easiest part. It's making sure that the components you select are compatible with one another and are on the QVL (qualified vendors list). A great learning curve.

Reaction score
Clifford,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually looking through some of the graphic card websites and ran across this from AMD, that atleast says it will support up to 6 monitors.I believe that is similiar to what you have linked as well, so thank you for that information. Assuming I went with a graphics card such as those listed above, what would you recommend as far as some of the other main components?

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/Pages/eyefinity.aspx

Reaction score
Well for the motherboard you would need to know if one card will suffice or a motherboard that supports two graphics cards what you need. Thats the main reason why I was primarily questioning the graphics. In this instance it seems you will start building your system around that concept alone as it can dictate case size and type of motherboard if you need two cards.

Reaction score
Great information Clifford. Assuming I went with two graphics cards can you provide some general guidelines on what to research?

Ask a Question