HELP PLEASE....Windows 7 32/64 bit!

Reaction score
Good Evening Users,
I am currently running, to my dismay, Windows Vista Home Basic (32 bit) on my Computer and was wondering if it was possible to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit (not sure which version yet – suggestions will be appreciated).

My specs are :-

Current OS: Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit
System Type: X86-based PC
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor, 2812 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. P1.50, 17/07/2009
SMBIOS Version: 2.4
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory: 3.25 GB
Available Physical Memory: 1.91 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 6.72 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 5.25 GB

Any info would be much appreciated.
Regards

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes you can move to Windows 7 64-bit version with no problems at all.

You have enough RAM and the AMD CPU is 64-bit capable. In addition, you will be able to utilize ALL of your 4GB of RAM.

You might check and see if there is a BIOS firmware update for your motherboard, if not then you should still be okay.

You cannot do an "upgrade" install from 32-bit to 64-bit though. You'll have to do a clean or 'custom' install as Windows 7 calls it. I would recommend getting an OEM version of Windows 7 64-bit as that will be the least expensive route to go with.

I hope this helps, let us know if you need anything else.

OH nickb87... by the way, welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You cannot do an "upgrade" install from 32-bit to 64-bit though. You'll have to do a clean or 'custom' install as Windows 7 calls it.
Just to be clear, this custom install can still be done from W7 upgrade disks, you do not need to buy the full version, but you will have to reinstall all your programs after the custom install.

As for which version, based on what you have now, you would likely be fine with Home Premium or, if you want group policy editor, remote desktop, and access to Virtual PC - XP mode then get Professional. For the differences see a detailed chart HERE.

Reaction score
Ok guys, first and foremost, many thanks for the warm welcome and the fast replies.
I have decided to go for Windows 7 Pro I think.

I have a few more questions with regard to my motherboard and the subsequent install of W7:

I think I have identified my motherboard and it can be found here. Can somebody please have a quick look for me and let me know, if possible, what update I need for my BIOS. Also, I want to upgrade my RAM from 4gb total to 8gb total, from looking at the link it seems as though this would be possible.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Good decision on Windows 7 Professional!

The latest BIOS firmware version for your motherboard is v2.10 Dated: 7-1-2010 All you need to do is verify what version you currently have.

From the motherboard's website regarding your RAM memory:
- Dual Channel DDR2 memory technology
- 2 x DDR2 DIMM slots
- Supports DDR2 1066*/800/667/533 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 8GB**

*Support with AM3 / AM2+ CPU.
Go with the DDR2 1066 (PC8500) series of RAM. Get a matched set of 2 - 4GB sticks since your motherboard only has two DIMM RAM slots available.

Although you really don't need 8 GB of RAM to be honest. I have 6 GB of RAM and hardly use all of it even during extensive video rendering processes. Plus trying to find 4GB sticks of DDR2 RAM is really hard as it is in a EOL or End Of Life cycle with most memory providers.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I, too, suggest you wait on the RAM. Unless you do intensive CAD CAM or similar intensive rendering you will probably be just fine with 4GB.

Reaction score
Ok, Thanks guys,

I will stick with the 4gb for now and see how it goes, I could alsways update in future.
With regard to the BIOS, I have found firmware v 2.10. On the page however there are also other drivers etc... Do I need any of THESE?

Regards

Reaction score
Ok guys,

Just tried to update my BIOS via the link in my previous post, I downloaded what I believe to be the relevant file (see attached thumbnail for image of the download).

I followed the instructions and extracted it to a USB (FAT32) and then followed the instructions to flash my BIOS on restart.
When I get to the final stage the BIOS freezes at the point where it says that it is checking for N68-S v2.10 but it doesn't install, I had to reboot my computer and found that no changes have been made!

I get to this page:

but nothing appears in the lefthand side and where it says Enter to flash BIOS etc... at the bottom of the screen is where it says checking for N68-S v2.10 instead.

Regards

Attachments

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Be sure to thoroughly read and understand the flash process as explained in your mother board's user guide. Also the website should have flash instructions also.

Make sure to let the process run it's course, it may take up to two minutes to complete and then it asks to reboot the computer. Then you go back into the BIOS and adjust your settings.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
While most hardware capable of running Vista will run Windows 7, I would still run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to be sure.

Also, if you have any add-on cards or other peripherals (printers, tuner cards, etc.) you should visit their download pages to make sure they have 64-bit drivers for them.

Reaction score
Ok, I have run the W7 Upgrade Advisor and it has indicated that I can only upgrade to the 32-bit version of W7! Is this because it is detecting that I am running the 32-bit version of vista? I don't want the 32-bit and won't be upgrading unless I can install the 64-bit version.

Also, can somebody please shine any light on the BIOS firmware issue? I have tried installing it again to no avail! Is there any other updates, drivers etc... that I need before I can install the BIOS firmware?

Kind Regards

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You should be able to do the 64-bit version of Windows 7, unless it's the motherboard causing issues.

In the past, I've always done my BIOS updates using an external floppy drive (or built-in internal floppy) and booting into DOS via a startup floppy disk and then going on from there. I have done two Windows-based BIOS updates.

Try that option, it is available for your motherboard.

Ask a Question