how to remove/disable/uninstall Windows Media Player extension/add-on in IE8 - please help


A

Adam

I regret allowing Windows Media Player extension/add-on to run on IE8.
How do I remove/disable/uninstall this extension/add-on?
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gene E. Bloch

I regret allowing Windows Media Player extension/add-on to run on IE8.
How do I remove/disable/uninstall this extension/add-on?
Have you tried Tools - Manage Add-ons?
 
A

Adam

Gene E. Bloch said:
Have you tried Tools - Manage Add-ons?

Yes, it wasn't listed. At least, it wasn't obvious to me.
And, searching for "media" came up blank.
But, I know it's installed since having multiple tabs opened to
sites that use Windows Media Player is insufferable. :)
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

Yes, it wasn't listed. At least, it wasn't obvious to me.
And, searching for "media" came up blank.
But, I know it's installed since having multiple tabs opened to
sites that use Windows Media Player is insufferable. :)
Here's a challenge: use "Windows" and "obvious" in the same sentence :)

I explored a bit and found this:
Go to Tools - Manage Add-ons.
In the left (navigation) pane, select Toolbars and Extensions.
In the right pane (the actual apps pane) look for Microsoft, then look
at the apps under that heading.

In my case Media Player is not there.

So here's what I did to see it:
At the bottom of the left pane is a drop-down box labeled "Show:". I had
to go there and choose "All add-ons" instead of "Currently loaded
add-ons", at which time I could see Media Player under Microsoft.

That seems to imply that WMP is not active here. I can't tell. I almost
never use IE :)

HTH...
 
A

Adam

Gene E. Bloch said:
Here's a challenge: use "Windows" and "obvious" in the same sentence :)

I explored a bit and found this:
Go to Tools - Manage Add-ons.
In the left (navigation) pane, select Toolbars and Extensions.
In the right pane (the actual apps pane) look for Microsoft,
then look at the apps under that heading.

In my case Media Player is not there.

So here's what I did to see it:
At the bottom of the left pane is a drop-down box labeled "Show:".
I had to go there and choose "All add-ons" instead of "Currently loaded
add-ons", at which time I could see Media Player under Microsoft.

That seems to imply that WMP is not active here. I can't tell. I almost
never use IE :)

HTH...

Yeah, I like your challenge. :)

That's the same procedure I tried before.

In the "Manage Add-ons" dialog with
"Toolbars and Extensions" and "All add-ons" selected,
the following is listed under Microsoft Corporation ...

1) Research
2) Groove Folder Synchronization
3) Windows Live Toolbar BHO
4) Windows Live Sign-in Helper
5) Search Helper
6) Windows Live Toolbar
7) Microsoft Silverlight
8) Windows Live Sign-in Control


But, still no Windows Media Player.

I try to avoid IE8 also but I ran into issues installing
Adobe Flash Player in Firefox so I used IE8 as backup.
 
A

Adam

Adam said:
Yeah, I like your challenge. :)

That's the same procedure I tried before.

In the "Manage Add-ons" dialog with
"Toolbars and Extensions" and "All add-ons" selected,
the following is listed under Microsoft Corporation ...

1) Research
2) Groove Folder Synchronization
3) Windows Live Toolbar BHO
4) Windows Live Sign-in Helper
5) Search Helper
6) Windows Live Toolbar
7) Microsoft Silverlight
8) Windows Live Sign-in Control


But, still no Windows Media Player.

I try to avoid IE8 also but I ran into issues installing
Adobe Flash Player in Firefox so I used IE8 as backup.
I'm seriously thinking about installing Ubuntu over Windows 7.
There has been too many blue screens of death. Yuck!!
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gene E. Bloch

I'm seriously thinking about installing Ubuntu over Windows 7.
There has been too many blue screens of death. Yuck!!
No! Don't! We need you on our side!

But I could hardly blame you...

Sorry I had nothing new to offer you about the add-ins.

I wonder if there is a magic entry in the registry, or even something in
Remove programs in the Control Panel. But the CP idea seems unlikely,
and I have no idea what IE does in the registry.
 
A

Adam

Gene E. Bloch said:
No! Don't! We need you on our side!

But I could hardly blame you...

Sorry I had nothing new to offer you about the add-ins.

I wonder if there is a magic entry in the registry, or even something in
Remove programs in the Control Panel. But the CP idea seems unlikely,
and I have no idea what IE does in the registry.

But-but-but, Windows 7's side is so ... BLUE.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :) <duck>
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gene E. Bloch

But-but-but, Windows 7's side is so ... BLUE.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :) <duck>
It's getting to be time to (blue) screen your posts :)

Don't apologize, just boldly go ahead and make us uncomfortable :)
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top