SOLVED Help me to clear my concept about 32 bit and 64 bit??

Reaction score
I always face this problem. the concept is still not clear to me. So, i have some qustion for you. I am running Windows 7 32-bit.

1.What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit operating system???

2.What does x86 and x64 mean??

3. My processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz. Does it support 64 bit operating system??? Because yesterday i was going to run Backtrack Linux (the ISO file is 64 bit, I got it from one of my friends) on VMware. But i get this message all time that This pc is x86 and to run this windows i need x64. Can anybody explain this problem??? What is the possible solution of this problem????

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
answering from bottom up ...
I assure you an i5 supports 64bit, but since you have a 32-bit OS installed on your machine it can not run code compiled to need a 64-bit OS.

x64 = 64bit
x86 = 32bit (given that name based on the Intel line of processors that used 32-bit processors: 286, 386, 486)

A 32bit OS can run very old 16-bit programs as well as 32bit programs, it cannot run 64-bit
A 64bit OS can run 32bit programs and 64bit programs, it can only run 16 bit programs in an emulator such a VMWare or DOSBox

To switch from 32bit to 64bit you would need to completely reinstall your OS. that means back up your data, and get all the program disks and product keys because you have to completely start over. Install the OS, find any missing drivers (because 64bit drivers are different than 32), restore your data, install all the programs.

If you have some older hardware: printers, etc, they may not even offer 64bit drivers to allow them to function so you may have to replace them.

Reaction score
2.What does x86 and x64 mean?
Lets look at question 2 first.
x86 is a series of computer microprocessor instruction set architectures[2] based on the Intel 8086 CPU. The 8086 was introduced during 1978 as a fully 16-bit extension of Intel's 8-bit based 8080 microprocessor and also introduced memory segmentation to overcome the 16-bit addressing barrier of such designs. The term x86 derived from the fact that early successors to the 8086 also had names ending with "86". Many additions and extensions have been added to the x86 instruction set over the years, almost consistently with full backward compatibility.[3] The architecture has been implemented in processors from Intel, Cyrix, Advanced Micro Devices, VIA, and many other companies.
x64 is technically an extention of x86 and should be referred to as x86-64 but it's known as x64 for short.
x86-64 is an extension of the x86 instruction set. It supports vastly larger virtual and physical address spaces than are possible on x86, thereby allowing programmers to conveniently work with much larger data sets. x86-64 also provides 64-bit general purpose registers and numerous other enhancements. The original specification was created by AMD, and has been implemented by AMD, Intel, VIA, and others. It is fully backwards compatible with Intel x86 16-bit and 32-bit code.[1](p13-14) Because the full x86 16-bit and 32-bit instruction sets remains implemented in hardware without any intervening emulation, existing x86 executables run with no compatibility or performance penalties,[2] although existing applications that are recoded to take advantage of new features of the processor design may see performance increases.
In order for a machine to operate 64 bit software, the machine itself must be able to run the 64 bit extensions on the x86 instruction set.

1.What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit operating system?
If you understood the answer to the first question you should see an obvious answer to this question. An OS that is 64 bit will need the extensions of the x86 instruction set to function. Since x64 is an extension to x86, you are also able to run 32 bit operating systems on a 64 bit capable machine.

3. My processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz. Does it support 64 bit operating system??? Because yesterday i was going to run Backtrack Linux (the ISO file is 64 bit, I got it from one of my friends) on VMware. But i get this message all time that This pc is x86 and to run this windows i need x64. Can anybody explain this problem??? What is the possible solution of this problem????
Intel® Core™ i5-2320 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz) - Yes the i5-2320 is a 64 bit processor.

There is one other thing you should also understand. There is 3 stages to using 64 bit capabilities.
  1. Hardware must be 64 bit
  2. Operating system must be 64 bit
  3. Applications must be 64 bit
Four general rules:
  • 32 bit hardware will not support 64 bit operating systems.
  • 32 bit operating system will not support 64 bit applications.
  • 64 bit hardware can support both 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems.
  • 64 bit operating system can support both 32 bit and 64 bit applications.

Reaction score
2.What does x86 and x64 mean?
Lets look at question 2 first.

x64 is technically an extention of x86 and should be referred to as x86-64 but it's known as x64 for short.

In order for a machine to operate 64 bit software, the machine itself must be able to run the 64 bit extensions on the x86 instruction set.

1.What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit operating system?
If you understood the answer to the first question you should see an obvious answer to this question. An OS that is 64 bit will need the extensions of the x86 instruction set to function. Since x64 is an extension to x86, you are also able to run 32 bit operating systems on a 64 bit capable machine.

Intel® Core™ i5-2320 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz) - Yes the i5-2320 is a 64 bit processor.

There is one other thing you should also understand. There is 3 stages to using 64 bit capabilities.
  1. Hardware must be 64 bit
  2. Operating system must be 64 bit
  3. Applications must be 64 bit
Four general rules:
  • 32 bit hardware will not support 64 bit operating systems.
  • 32 bit operating system will not support 64 bit applications.
  • 64 bit hardware can support both 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems.
  • 64 bit operating system can support both 32 bit and 64 bit applications.
Thank you sir. You guys are so helpful. Now my concept is clear enough. :) Happy Computing

Reaction score
answering from bottom up ...
I assure you an i5 supports 64bit, but since you have a 32-bit OS installed on your machine it can not run code compiled to need a 64-bit OS.

x64 = 64bit
x86 = 32bit (given that name based on the Intel line of processors that used 32-bit processors: 286, 386, 486)

A 32bit OS can run very old 16-bit programs as well as 32bit programs, it cannot run 64-bit
A 64bit OS can run 32bit programs and 64bit programs, it can only run 16 bit programs in an emulator such a VMWare or DOSBox

To switch from 32bit to 64bit you would need to completely reinstall your OS. that means back up your data, and get all the program disks and product keys because you have to completely start over. Install the OS, find any missing drivers (because 64bit drivers are different than 32), restore your data, install all the programs.

If you have some older hardware: printers, etc, they may not even offer 64bit drivers to allow them to function so you may have to replace them.
Thank you sir for your explanation. ;)

Ask a Question