Cleartype help

Reaction score
Windows 7 Home Prem 64 Bit - SP1

The other day I updated the driver for my video card (Radeon HD 4870), now the fonts do not look crisp.

I used the on board Windows Cleartype - but that did not seem to help.
Is there another setting or tool I could use ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
When you update video card drivers you need to let Windows update it's Windows Experience Index. Right-click Computer, select Properties and click on the Windows Experience icon next to rating - ie: 5.9 or whatever your is. The Windows Experience Index icon should state it needs to be refreshed. In the Window that opens up select Re-run assesment. It may say something different at the top right. If it does click on that.

Reaction score
Never knew that.
Sure enough was asked to re-run the assessment.

But fonts still the same.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Can you post a snip or screenshot of exactly what you are experiencing? A picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Updating the experience number may be nice to see whether windows thinks your display has improved but it won't actually change the fonts appearance.

First off make sure you rebooted your computer after installing the drivers. Then you should adjust screen resolution to something appropriate for your monitor (Right-click on desktop and choose screen resolution). Then you might try the settings options in windows media center as they offer a setup feature where you adjust your monitors brightness/contrast/RGB color for optimum picture. Then of course is the cleartype text you already tried.

Adjusting the monitor settings and then rerunning cleartype should make things better.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you using the native resolution for your monitor?
Are you certain the resolution has not changed?

Reaction score
The resolution did not change. But then I am not sure if I rebooted after the upgrade.
Should I re-install the driver?

Now thinking what would the screen look like if I did change it.
I have a LG W2040 and recommended setting is 1600 x 900 and in landscape - which it was.
I changed it to 1280 x 720.

Fonts do look better, though everything is bigger - and great now that I am reaching 50!
I was able to decrease size of icons on the desktop (holding Ctrl key while using scroll wheel on the mouse).

SO - how do I decrease the icons in the task bar? Well actually more like - is there a way to decrease those icons without being tooo small?
(going to Start/Rt click/Properties/Task bar/ "Use small icons" - are too small.
Is there any middle ground?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I wasn't really saying to go with lower resolution, actually I encourage that you use the recommended setting; I just wanted to be sure it was set to that, as the default before the GPU was added could be different.

Quite honestly it is usually the brightness/contrast that needs adjusted and that is easiest to do with the little setup application in media center (people playing pool).

As for the task bar Icons, small and normal are the only options I know.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The resolution did not change. But then I am not sure if I rebooted after the upgrade.
Should I re-install the driver?
No you shouldn't have to reinstall the monitor driver, all should be good there. Did you do a complete uninstall of the previous driver prior to installing the new driver? That is a necessity if you didn't know it.

Now thinking what would the screen look like if I did change it.
I have a LG W2040 and recommended setting is 1600 x 900 and in landscape - which it was.
I changed it to 1280 x 720.
If you change from the recommended native resolution of your LCD monitor, you will not have the crispness or clearness of fonts, etc. Leave the monitor in it's native resolution.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also as a sidebar: You don't have to rerun the Windows Experience Index. It does nothing for the appearance or font crispness on your monitor. Your WEI may improve very slightly, but I sincerely doubt it. You'd probably just be wasting your time.

Reaction score
Yeah - not liking the look (the largeness) -
Will go back to the 1600 x 900 and then play with contrast- as I like the current brightness

Reaction score
well , now back to the 1600 x 900.
Still playing with contrast & brightness.

I also played with DPI - yes / no ?
What does that do ? Other than changed folders/ icons to black !!

See attachment.

Attachments

Reaction score
Yep, did that.
Why is it, each time I go into Cleartype, I have to re-configure? should it not save my settings?

Actually did not see much of a change.

A combo of Clear type and Contrast adjustments did make the fonts better.

Still seems off though. Oh well.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First of all DPI is Dots Per Inch, the more the better resolution. It's best to return them to their native state on your setup.

Clear Type DOES save the settings! You're just not realizing it.

Quit messing around with the settings and get them back to native settings.

Reaction score
The contrast/brightness can be accomplished by clicking on Calibrate Color on the left side in screenshot 2 of my earlier post.

Reaction score
yes- brightness & contrast have been adjusted.

thank you all for your help.

Reaction score
Your welcome. Just remeber whenever you update video card drivers to re-run W.E.I. afterwards to refresh it.

Ask a Question