Hardware configuration problem with Windows 7

Reaction score
I tried both upgrade and clean install of windows 7 ultimate from vista home premium but ended up with this error, "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware".
it happens when the installer reaches the the final point where it shows "Gathering..." and "completing install".
the screen goes off and back onn for about less than a second before it fails to install and that error comes up.
I'm using Toshiba A300 Satellite notebook with 4Gb Ram, Core2duo 2.27Ghz 400Gb harddrive. I don't know what's causing the problem.

Reaction score
Hi Imtiaz383 - Welcome to w7forums

You might could try removing one of your memory sticks to see if the install will complete. Once finished with the install place the memory stick back.

Please make sure the power is off when installing or removing anything in the computer. It would be best if the battery was removed while working on the PC.

Reaction score
How?

Hi Imtiaz383 - Welcome to w7forums

You might could try removing one of your memory sticks to see if the install will complete. Once finished with the install place the memory stick back.

Please make sure the power is off when installing or removing anything in the computer. It would be best if the battery was removed while working on the PC.
How do i remove the video card? it's installed inside the pc

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Imtiaz383

You don't need to touch your graphics (as Clifford said) just remove 1 RAM / Memory stick (and do earth your self, static can destroy your ram or motherboard).

Reaction score
How do i remove the video card? it's installed inside the pc
I'm sorry - I have confussed you with my first post that was deleted. I don't know what I was thinking. After posting I realized you had a laptop instead of a desktop. The graphics chips cannot be removed. You do have 2 memory modules installed though. In my last post I mentioned removing one of these modules to see if it made any difference in the installation process. There will be a panel on the bottom of the laptop held by one screw covering the modules.

Reaction score
I'm sorry - I have confussed you with my first post that was deleted. I don't know what I was thinking. After posting I realized you had a laptop instead of a desktop. The graphics chips cannot be removed. You do have 2 memory modules installed though. In my last post I mentioned removing one of these modules to see if it made any difference in the installation process. There will be a panel on the bottom of the laptop held by one screw covering the modules.
When i looked in the panel as you said previously. They are hard drives, i have 2 memory units and 1 below it which is smaller and i believe that it is the cpu.

I can do it but i am afriad to loose my C: drive.

Reaction score
Ram

if i remove the ram, the computer won't work

Reaction score
Clifford's suggestion is excellent an may be needed.

You could also check in the bios for a setting called Plug and Play OS. Set this to yes or enabled.

If those two suggestions do not fix it, then you can access the device manager when installing. After the first reboot, use the menu to go to safe mode. When it tells you that it can't complete installation in safe mode, do not press enter or space bar. After... Press shift+10 to open the command prompt. Type compmgmtlauncher and hit enter. Click on device manager in the opened screen. Right click on the video card and disable it.

When you get to desktop, re-enable it and install the correct video driver from ATI's site.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Installing

ok you can give me time, i'll try then i'll come back to reply if anything did work!
i've removed one of them.....yeap now my computer shows 2Gb ram.
Can i now boot directly from the cd and install it on a 70Gb partitioned hard drive?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Fwiw::
I have a 21 inch Acer 9810.
I ran this, for a considerable time and with 100% results, with 2GBs ram. According to Acer and other reports, the computer was 4GB capable, although I read one or two adverse comments on this.
So, with a desire to upgrade, I bought two new, totally comaptible, 2GB strips and immediately had some starnge happenings. First, my (Windows7) dual boot manager was totally gone, or hidden. by hopefully clicking the arriow buttons, during the selection stage (a wild guess) I was able to load the alternaytive OS. This seemed to indicate that, for some graphic reason, the boot maner was there but no visible.
Time passed and I did fel I was getting some better performance, but not enough to make me swoon - lol.
The came a moment when I decided to do a reinstall of one of the OS's. When the install DVD booted, it shwoed a readable, but totally basic, VGA picture, with horrendous pixel squares everywhere. The install went without hitch, but, again, I could not see the boot manager. (Now on default for my new installation.
Ok. This was a problem for me. I did a mem chech with the built in MS program, and a third party checker. Without surprise, they both came up with an error reading and, apparently, only 2GBs working. Swapping out the ram for other strips made no difference. Further investigation led me to believe that, indeed, the computer was not using the 4Gbs, although the system repoprted 4Gbs installed (and Dxdiags)
So I am stuck with an expensive laptop which does not perform as advertised. Unfortunately, well out of guarantee.

Reaction score
Ouch, I was really hoping that would work. There is not many hardware changes that can be made other than Bios configuration on a laptop.

Have you tried entering the system bios and changing everything to default values?

I'm afraid I don't have anymore ideas at the moment.

Reaction score
Ouch, I was really hoping that would work. There is not many hardware changes that can be made other than Bios configuration on a laptop.

Have you tried entering the system bios and changing everything to default values?

I'm afraid I don't have anymore ideas at the moment.
Compatibility mode did not also work for Sata controller

Reaction score
I have a compaq presario laptop, it's old and it has a celeron processor that runs only at 1.8Ghz.....7 ultimate worked well on the 1st try.
This problem with hardware seems very vage

Reaction score
i have an updated bios, i still don't know what may be causing the problem. Do you know where i could get the log file for the error?

Ask a Question