Hard Drive Bad Sectors

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Typical! I get my PC configured and set up exactly how I like it, and then my 1 year old hard drive conks out on me! :banghead:

I did a CHKDSK and it had some bad sectors and plenty of file corruption. Ran the Hitachi DFT software and it seemed to think it has rescued it, but I'm using another drive now just in case.

Luckily I could still access my e-mails when I accessed the drive from another system, and everything else is backed up via Acronis. Phew :D

Just a timely reminder to backup your system if you haven't for a while ;)

Reaction score
Where I worked, IT was supposed to back up our data weekly. The system crashed we lost data and learned they hadn't bothered to back up our files for months. Heck of a fight to see who paid the overtime to re-enter the data.

Sunday morning is when I back up my files. It doesn't take long and most of it happens while I drink coffee and surf the web.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Vista is up and running now, but it sure does take some time to patch itself! I've not slipstreamed my Vista CD, so it's taken 2 hours for Windows Update to get all the patches re-installed :eek:

Sunday morning is when I back up my files. It doesn't take long and most of it happens while I drink coffee and surf the web.
Same here, I copy the important stuff to a USB stick manually and then run Acronis to make sure I've got everything backed up.

A few years ago I paid the price for not having regular backups, so I make sure I do it all the time now :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
And the old drive I used to replace this drive with has now failed! I'm going to get a new one tomorrow (500GB Seagate Barracuda) and check for anything else that might cause the drives to fail. I think it's just a bad co-incidence, but I'll check case temps and try running it from a different SATA controller just in case.

Reaction score
have you ran chkdsk again, sounds newbie i know, but the simplest of things works. make sure you run chkdsk /r to repair it.
Another thing you can try is sfc /scannow. will find and attempt anything wrong. you run both of these in the run box.

Reaction score
I know this sounds stupid but I was having trouble with a drive - When I deleted the partition several times it finally corrected itself - funny thing though it didnt help until I changed the partition size

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
And the old drive I used to replace this drive with has now failed! I'm going to get a new one tomorrow (500GB Seagate Barracuda) and check for anything else that might cause the drives to fail. I think it's just a bad co-incidence, but I'll check case temps and try running it from a different SATA controller just in case.
How old was this other drive? Were these drives in your overclocked system? If so, I'd be curious to know if you locked your PCIe frequency to 100 in your BIOS...

Use this tool to check what your PCIe frequency is currently set to: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=189

If this setting gets to high it can lead to hard drive data corruption since these use the PCIe bus. When overclocking it's recommended to lock this setting to its default of 100, don't use the AUTO setting. I agree that it's a bit much of a coincidence, so this is one guess anyway.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, PCIe is locked to 100 - that was my first worry too as it seems very co-indicental that two drives have failed so quickly (although they've run great for 1.5 years). I did download that tool just to double check though, thanks :D (edit: might need to try a new tool actually as I don't think this can read the PCIe properly on my chipset ICS9LPRS918BKL)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Got the new drive up and running with Windows 7 now :)

Went for a 640GB Western Digital drive as I've heard good things about this model (WD6400AAKS).

Reaction score
Did you install it as a slave, or did you actually install W7 onto it.
I hate the fact that everytime you install you have to set it up the way you want, but i do love the transfer wizard :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you install it as a slave, or did you actually install W7 onto it
I pulled the old drive out and did a straight swap with the new one, then installed W7 on it. I also bought a caddy at the same time, as it makes swapping drives over so much faster :)

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
(edit: might need to try a new tool actually as I don't think this can read the PCIe properly on my chipset ICS9LPRS918BKL)
If you can find one let me know, almost nothing out of my entire armory of software tools seems to display PCIe bus speed infomation. The only other program I know that does is specific to Gigabyte motherboards.... you might try ASUS's motherboard utility software as that may offer it.

I have everything from a Maxtor, old Seagates, several Hitachi's (one of them an old refurb replacement for a 'Deathstar') to a Western Digital... except for a drive I killed none have never worn out or needed to be RMA'd other than the WD. These were old drives I used before I got a NAS, and most of them are now well over 5 years old. Excluding the external variety, HDD's should last a very long time so it's suspicious when just one of them goes. You have a good quality PSU though, so that wouldn't be it either..

If you still have or will use either of the hard drives you might consider running Spinrite on them. The program seems gimmicky but it's been endorsed and tested by some people that would know, and it does appear to work very well.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This is my first WD drive, so fingers cross this one lasts :) I've usually stuck with Maxtors and they have done well for me, but every IBM/Hitachi drive I've had has failed (about 4 in the last 10 years). To be fair, 2 of them were Deathstars ;)

I'm going to run some of the tools on the UBCD (ultimate boot CD) tonight and see if I can clean the drive up :).

Reaction score
I hate having to clean install, it takes me ages to make the OS just right.

Ask a Question