Graphics card problem

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have been running my system for a while now with one graphics card (HIS Radeon 6790 Turbo) and it has been going alright, but for my birthday I received another one. I set everything up and plugged in the crossfire and got going. I immediately had problems. Not only was everything graphics related much slower and glitchy, it has been messing with my computer in general. Making it so I can't see anything on my screen until it's at the login screen.

Sometimes the card works really well for a while then an hour later it acts up again.

I already set up an RMA on Newegg to return it, but before I send it I would like some opinions.

My setup:
Antec 1200 Gaming Case
Intel Core i7 920 (OC to 3.8ghz)
Asus X58
HITACHI 750GB 7200RPM
Kingwin 1000watt PSU
Antec Kuhler 920
Corsair Vengance 8GB DDR3 ram 1523MHz

Thanks
Brian

Reaction score
Did you configure the new card to run in Crossfire in the Catalyst Control Center ? If you didn't right-click on your destop and click on Catalyst Control Center/AMD Vision Control Center. In Catalyst Control Center click on Performance on the left side, then click on Graphics Overdrive. You should see a listing for CrossfireX, make sure there's a check mark there. Then restart your computer and go into the bios and enable Crossfire there. Then go to http://www.amd.com and download the 12.1 driver's and the Catalyst Profiles. Those were all just released this past Monday.

Reaction score
I updated the drivers and downloaded the profiles. I also enabled crossfire. I do not know how to enable it in BIOS. I am still having the problem.

Game I see the problem the most on is Dirt 3

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Apparently Dirt 3 in Crossfire has issues for some but I haven't found solutions. All I can say is be sure you are using the latest drivers and the latest patches (if any) for Dirt.

Reaction score
More than likely it's in the same section of your bios that has the cpu settings and ram settings for overclocking,etc. Thry anything in the bios's menu that says Advanced.See with Crossfire you need to first let Windows detect the video card, then set it up in the AMD Vision Control Center/Catalyst Control Center and then enable it in the bios. That's the exact order that must be followed for it to work correctly.

Reaction score
How will I know when Windows "recognizes" the card? Please excuse me I am new to this.

Thanks
Brian

Reaction score
Okay now my computer is saying it recognizes it, but speed fan and Catalyst Control are not picking it up -_- I think I am gonna send this card back and ask for a new one...

Reaction score
Hold off on that. First disable your antivurus/antispyware software temporarily. Re-install the video card driver's, Catalyst Contol Center, etc. Restart your pc after each one. Then restart one more time. Now open up Catalyst Control Center and refollow my earlier instructions for Crossfire. Now click the start orb and type in Device Manager and hit enter. In Device Manager click the arrow to the left of Sound, video and game controllers. Are 2 video card's listed. If they are, the problem is solved. If they aren't, it could be the video card or the PCIe x16 slot on your motherboard that you put the new video card in is bad. Did you connect the cross link cable from the side of the new video card to your 1st video card ? That need's to be done. There should be a cable about 4 inches in the box your new vide card came in. It kind of look's like a short narrow floppy disk cable. That's what make's the 2 video cards work together. If none of that work's then contact where you bought the video card from and the motherboard manufacturer, as either component could be faulty. After you see that CrossfireX is enabled in Catalyst Control Center re-enable your antivirus/antispyware software

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will give that a try. I am using the crossfire cable. I installed everything per the instructions.

Thanks
Brian

Reaction score
This is important, when you plug the Cross-Link cable to both video cards, disable th Crossfire setting in the bios until Windows starts up. Windows will automatically add the same driver as you installed for the 1st video card. Now restart your pc and check in Catalyst Control Center and make sure a check mark is next to Crossfire. Just follow my earlier instructions. Restart you pc and re-enable Croosfire in the bios. When your in Windows install the Catalyst Profiles ( they are specifically for Crossfire). Restart your pc one last time and re-enab;e your antivirus/antispyware software. Enjoy.

Reaction score
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 RedistributableFinal Status: Fail
Version of Item: 10.0.30319
Size: 9 Mbytes

I got this when I installed the drivers.

Reaction score
Right-click on each of the drivers and click on Run As Administrator. Restart your pc after each one. One of the Catalyst components will almost always give an error message during installation. You don't really need to worry bout it. Still restart your pc after each one do the video card driver one first and then the Catalyst Profiles.

Reaction score
Well something amazing has happened! After installing the drivers and running as admin everything changed and the crossfire setup changed to one that sounds like what you described. On top of that Dirt 3 is running perfectly!

I have not changed anything in the BIOS. With everything running this well do I even dare mess with it?

In advance thanks for all the help and I guess consider this resolved!

Thanks
Brian

Reaction score
Yeah, I knew it. You always have to disable your antivirus/antispyware while installing driver's and AMD's need to be Run As Administrator. I wish someplace would hurry up and get a HIS IceQ X Turbo X HD 6950 2.0 gb. video card in, so I can finally use crossfire. That's the exact card I need, because it's factory overclocked. None of the other models have any setting's near it.

Reaction score
Yeah that card is pretty sick. My friend has one and that is what I was sort of trying to accomplish by setting up two of these. I have to say it does make a difference in demanding games. Plus is looks really cool in the case :D

My cards are factory overclocked and I can make them faster in Catalyst controller :)

Thanks
Brian

Reaction score
I can too, but the card I have came @ 880 mhz and 1300 mhz. The stock HD 6950 are 800 mhz and 1250 mhz. From what I understand it also has a factory HD 6970 video bios. The highest factory overclocked is 840 mhz and 1300 mhz. I don't think they have the HD 6970 video bios, though. That and the fan they use are my 2 concerns. I've read where mine can be set at 900 mhz. and 1350 mhz. I already changed my fan speed from factory 20 % to 85% I'm just waiting to get the 2nd card before I change those 2 setting's. My case has 6 120 mm. fans and I've got a Corsair Hydro Series H-80 heat-sink, so my pc can more than handle the extra video card overclock. My 1100T cpu is already overclocked @ 37/3.9 Turbo core, instead of stock 3.3/3.7 Turbo Core. That I'm going to leave as is. Down the road I'm gonna get a 990FX mobo and Bulldozer cpu. The Bulldozer, I'm waiting to see how it perform's in Windows 8 first. Apparently, it doesn't justify the upgrade in Windows 7 performance wise, compared to my 1100T. It currently only beat's my cpu by 3-4 points on fps in benchmarks on Windows 7..

Last edited:

Ask a Question