Graphic card prob

Reaction score
Hi, when i try and play games on my computer, sometimes my graphic's really stuter to a point of it not responding for about 10 minutes, it seems to happen more frequently. I have a Geforce GTX 550 Ti.

Advice please ?

Reaction score
Is it overheating, that's my first thought. Has it ever been cleaned, the fan and heat sink from lent and dust build up? Does it have an adequate power feed?

Reaction score
That was my initial idea, I took it out and gave it a good clean but it's quite knew, the pc has high specs; to my knowledge it does have adequate power feed. I downloaded new drivers last night and monitoring programs from nvidia and so far so good, but have not tested its potential yet, will keep u posted

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Another common cause of graphics stuttering is a crowded hard disk. If free disk space is in short supply, it can cause the read/write heads to bounce around a lot looking for chunks of free space to temporarily store "buffered" data. At least 30Gb of free disk space on the boot drive is what many experts recommend. So I recommend cleaning out the clutter with Windows Disk Cleanup or CCleaner (only if already installed). And then run Windows Defragger to consolidate the file fragments. There is no need to download or install any 3rd party defragger or clutter cleaner if you have not already done so. They just take up more precious disk space and DON'T offer any significant or lasting performance gains over the tools built into Windows (this in spite of what their fans, and marketing weenies would like us to believe).

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
but i think the internal graphic card in your computer is the best than all other external graphic cards
Ummm, not hardly. For one, gareth did not say what computer he has so you don't know if that system has integrated graphics (assuming that is what you mean by internal vs external) in the first place or which integrated graphics it might be.

And for another, while integrated graphics have greatly improved in recent years, and typically are more than adequate for home theater systems, Office documents, surfing the web, even playing many games, add-in cards (except the most basic, entry level, budget cards) are vastly superior to integrated graphics.

Ask a Question