Full Backup

J.T

Reaction score
I have a 500gb External Hard Drive that only has Music loaded ATM but I think I should start making a full backup of (C), My PC has two 500gb Hard Drives and (C) on Drive 0 is 100gb anyway should I use Windows backup or a downloaded program ?, appreciate any advice - Thanks :)

J.T

Reaction score
Thank you Cat and Clifford I will look at each :)

J.T

Reaction score
My Hard Drives are Samsung so looks like I will have to use Macrium Reflect.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I still use Macrium some, it is an excellent program to be free of charge. My main backup program is Acronis True Image Home 2010, but I only have one license, and I use that on my desktop.

For my notebook though, I backup with Macrium regularly. I've had to recover with it, and did so with no problem. Don't forget to burn the rescue CD, you may need it one day. But I hope that you never need it.:)

Cat

Reactions: J.T

J.T

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Cat I will burn a rescue CD :)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
One more vote for Macrium. I use (not so often actually) it, and it does a really great job. The only thing which annoys me about it is that in Windows Backup, you can explore the backup, and recover just the piece you need.

Though, Macrium is way better because it doesn't ZIP every folder one at a time. Windows does. It basicly makes a single file.

I also agree with the rescue DVD. I didn't make one, and nearly paid for my mistake. I have one now :) Another thing to do is to make a restore point once ina while. You'll be able to restore your system to an earlier time if anything goes bad. Though, Windows makes them automaticly.

Reactions: J.T

J.T

Reaction score
I do make a Restore Point before I try any new Software, and I will burn a rescue CD :)

J.T

Reaction score
OK got my backup working so how often do I backup each week, month ? and do I delete the old backup ? :)

Reaction score
How often you create a backup would depend on how often you as a user think a backup in necessary.

The biggest question would be, how often do you make big changes or possibly jeopardize the security of the system?

J.T

Reaction score
I dont often make any changes but I do go to a few sites, Music ones most :)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, then very often backups aren't needed. I would only really advise big backups with Macrium in cases where you really risk to lose all your data.

If you download music and stuff, a backup once every week or two should be good.

Reaction score
I dont often make any changes but I do go to a few sites, Music ones most :)
You could probably get by with making a backup once a month. :)

I don't know how you feel about the Restore points but they have saved me a few times.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
All of this really depends on:

- How often you have new data
- If your computer is in any particular risk
- The value of your data
- etc...

I make a backup every two weeks.

J.T

Reaction score
I do make restores (when I think of it) Clifford :)
So backup every 2 or 3 weeks will be OK and the old backups guys ?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I do make restores (when I think of it) Clifford :)
So backup every 2 or 3 weeks will be OK and the old backups guys ?

Old backups should be deleted after a while, as really old ones are often needed, and they will eat up your HD. Not too sure if it does it automaticly though...

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Meh... I still think Clifford or someone else should confirm this. They probably have way more experience than me with backups.

Ask a Question