SOLVED Formatting/managing partitions and allocation sizes.

Reaction score
So I'm gonna re-arrange the contents of my 500GB hard drive. I'm planning to divide into three partitions: the system partition, a partition entirely for games and a partition for various stuff (music, videos, installers of various apps, pr0n:D, etc.).

I'm already using the system partition but when I was gonna format the other two, I noticed the allocation size options on the formatting window and I hear the allocation sizes affect performance and disk space management somehow. Should I just go for default (4096 bytes) on all partitions or is there something recommended that I should do like say a certain allocation size for my games partition and a certain allocation size for my stuff partition?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Always let Windows set the NTFS file system allocation size. The 4KB allocation size is standard now for Windows 7, so just let it be.

Years ago, allocation sizes were a different matter, also FAT16 and FAT32 used much smaller allocation sizes.

You are fine, so just let it do its thing and you'll be all set.

Reaction score
One last thing though, a bit off-topic and I've always wondered about this. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the quick format option?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
A Full format also scans for bad sectors, whilst formatting. Quick does not.
It is also a matter of security.
A Full format will check right through the hard drive from , rebuilding its file structures, and , as I said scans the drive During this process, everything on the hard disk is totally obliterated. All a Quick format does is lay down a blank FAT and directory table without checking for bad sectors. Whilst completing this, it leaves whole, or residues, of files for any future hacker.

Reaction score
Hi Nibiru,

I was already in the loop of this discussion regarding partitioning the drives.. but i was NOT clear what to do , still in confusion !!

I've taken the screen-shot of currently drives in use of my HP new laptop..

I just want to know couple of things here like -

(1) I want to shrink some space out rather using entire C: drive with 500GB , so though we have already 4 partitions as primary only.. i guess we have delete one primary partition... and make new one.

(2) How to write/burn a drive , suppose take how to burn the Recovery drive to DVDs.. , i dont think this is normal burning to dvds.. , can you provide me steps ?

(3) What's the purpose of the below drives(partitions) :
(C:) - this is known one as C drive
HP_TOOLS = ?
RECOVERY(d:) - i guess this helps when our OS corrupts
SYSTEM = ?

Thanks for your help.

-Kiran

Attachments

Ask a Question