Need Help Formatting my 1 TB

Reaction score
Heres my issue: I was having problems moving, saving, or deleting items to and from my Hitachi SimpleDrive USB 1TB hard drive. So i decided to reformat it to solve the problem. This is where the problems come up.

It now wont let me format it (errors include: "Media is write protected", "Windows cannot complete the format")

I have tried to format in disc manager and also some other tools but none seem to work.

Please help me!!!!!! I will give any information needed to assist.

P.S. I have tried partitioning it with no success

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Is this drive still under warranty? If so, and as long as you did nothing to abuse it, you may be able to get a replacement. If it's a backup drive, see if you can get it to respond on another computer, if you have access to another.

Looks like the manufacturer's warranty is one year, upon researching it. If it's out of warranty, you may want to consider getting another case for it, it may be the case that's giving the problem.

PS: Have you used any drive encryption (TrueCrypt, BitLocker, etc.) on it? If so, and the key is gone, you may not be able to do anything with it. I use BitLocker myself. But I haven't tried to format a drive that's been encrypted. Just a possibility.

One last possibility that I thought of. Since it's a USB drive, try to install a Linux OS onto it, and see what happens. You'll need to remove the main drive from your computer, so that the Linux bootloader (GRUB) won't be on your main hard drive. Linux OS's will install through a USB port, Windows won't. If it boots, let it roll, and format the drive with the Linux OS disc. You can always reformat it later.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have you tried using the Disk Management section of the System Administration area in Control Panel?

Ask a Question