Formatting a system partition

Reaction score
So basically, I decided that I would get windows 7 and get a new hard disk to install it on, as my original is getting a little on the old side.

Installing the new hard disk was smooth, as was formatting it and installing windows 7 on it. However, I foolishly forgot to unplug (C:) which is the disk with Vista on it (which is the only other OS). This of course is the system disk, and so my Windows 7 disk (M:) is now reliant upon it to boot. This means I cannot format (C:).... I tried repairing the windows 7 installation (without (C:) plugged in) using the windows 7 disk, however it just told me what I already knew, and didn't repair it.

Is there anyway I can make (M:) a system disk, and therefore format (C:)? (Preferably without having to reinstall Windows 7)

Here's a screenshot of the partition details: http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1364/partitions.jpg

Thanks for any replies. If any more details are needed, please ask :)

Reaction score
Hi. Yes, there is this way.

First, make sure you can see hidden and system files.

Then copy the bootmgr file from C: to M: (both root.)

Copy the boot folder from C: to M: (both root), telling it to skip over copying bcd and bcd.log when it asks.

Then open an elevated command prompt. Copy and paste the following then hit enter:

Code:
bcdedit /export M:\boot\bcd
Check inside M:\boot that bcd is now in there. If so, reboot to bios. Change the first boot device to the M: hard drive.

Reboot to Windows and check disk management that M: is now also the system drive.

If so, now you can format C:

Then you can also use the boot tab of msconfig to delete the Vista entry so it will not be a choice when booting the machine.

Enjoy.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Whenever one does a clean install of Windows 7, its always advisable to unplug all the drives except for the one you're installing Windows 7 to.

Also, I always go into the Computer Management section of Administrative Tools in Control Panel. I then change my hard drive letter assignments and CD/DVD drive letter also. Hard drive/partition with Windows 7 is always the "C" drive. The CD/DVD drive is always "D" drive. I find it's easier that way for me and most programs I install. Just a tip though!

I agree with veedaz, Partition Wizard is an excellent free program. I am amazed at how many features and power this free software has. Also, there's the Partition Wizard Bootable ISO image for burning to a CD for offline partitioning, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Had another stab at it myself and I've managed to resolve the issue. Thanks for the replies, I'll keep partition wizard in mind.

Thanks again.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Had another stab at it myself and I've managed to resolve the issue. Thanks for the replies, I'll keep partition wizard in mind.

Thanks again.
Most everyone I know techie wise really like Partition Wizard.

Ask a Question