Forefront on Win 7?

Reaction score
This is actually past tense stuff. but I'm still trying to figure it out just so I can drop it one way of the other. I upgraded ZA the other day, it always scans for software that can conflict. Anyway it found Forefront anti virus. I had never heard of it, and was wondering if I had picked up some rogue software some place in the two weeks I've had this computer, so went to tech guys to ask and basically got accused of stealing, finding, not owning my own computer. I have receipts for every scrap of hardware in the case plus the work that was done, Amazon could verify those receipts. Anyway really made me mad and so I started searching, and found this article.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Mic...ssentials-antivirus-tool-goes-live/1254251316

Part of it says "Although Microsoft does produce an enterprise-class security package, Security Essentials -- while incorporating part of Forefront's detection engine -- is not a stepped-down version of Forefront, or a "good" or "better" option to Forefront's "best." So Microsoft's intentions with Security Essentials are clearly not to make room for itself as a consumer security provider."

So I think ZA was not wrong in its identification, and I'm wondering if this is included in Win 7, with the option to not be used, what is the big deal? I uninstalled it once I found out what it was what it was listed under in control panel remove programs. Just curious about the bad attitudes and major red flags when this is obviously part of the package.
"

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Which tech guys did you got to? Sounds like they should go back to school. If some one accused me stealing my computer, I'd have a hard time holding back. :fight:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Must be the ZoneAlarm tech guys accusing you of this.

Not very good customer service if you ask me. I would go straight to the top and howl like a banshee on this one.

Forefront sounds like a AV detection engine which MS uses in their server side of the business. Also appears to be used in the Office product line for corporations.

Reaction score
ZA forums told me to talk to Microsoft and left it at that. I've also been registered at techguy.org for a while and they used to be very helpful with things. But they'ret he ones that got nasty about it. I guess its up the the users to find out this stuff, but if they're running a support site they need call off the dogs and go and investigate. I had no idea what Forefront was, I use ZA extreme for the anti virus as much as anything else, but I could go back to ZA pro with Forefront anti virus, next install I'll consider it.

Reaction score
Forefront is a business security software, but apparently Microsoft has decided to make some kind of end user type connection because it is part of the package that came on the Win 7 cdrom.

Anyway just wrote to the admin, I doubt they will do anything, but I told them they need to update their moderators education and make some attitude changes. I tell you, had I ever stolen a computer, I don't think I could, its like someone's personal stuff you know, but anyway, had I, and I ran into that, I'd have left and not given them a chance to bust me. As it is, I have receipts for every piece of hardware, including the case, plus the work, so not worried, just seriously annoyed. Well was.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Forefront is a business security software, but apparently Microsoft has decided to make some kind of end user type connection because it is part of the package that came on the Win 7 cdrom.

Anyway just wrote to the admin, I doubt they will do anything, but I told them they need to update their moderators education and make some attitude changes. I tell you, had I ever stolen a computer, I don't think I could, its like someone's personal stuff you know, but anyway, had I, and I ran into that, I'd have left and not given them a chance to bust me. As it is, I have receipts for every piece of hardware, including the case, plus the work, so not worried, just seriously annoyed. Well was.
I know the feeling. I was having issues validating my genuine Home Premium after a famous update threw up the "This copy of Windows 7 isn't genuine" black desktop screen at me. A certain website (not dissimilar in name to this one) was helping (!?! :rolleyes:) me with my problem. On my 3rd return visit to check for new answers I was greeted with a "Banned. Reason - Piracy" message :eek:.
A nice fella on Microsoft answers helped sort me through it though :beer:, never had an issue since.
It was the accusation though, more than anything, that irked :mad:. Of course, you are then banned :thumpdown: so you can't "appeal"!!
The only "piratey" thing about me is I have a tendency to stand on one leg when "under pressure" (steaming, drunk) which usually leads to falling over!!

Reaction score
LOL I used to do that on a regular basis, but that was before computers, I seriously doubt I have an account there anymore, but I'm not planning on going back, because I've noticed over time they've become less and less helpful. maybe they were sued or something because they are strict. I bet they did something that made Microsoft really mad.

Reaction score
I had a simlar situation a long time ago on a forum for Windows users. Lots of stuff had gone wrong and I needed to make some changes to settings. Trouble was it kept asking for a password which was strange as I'd never given it one.
In any case I was asking for ways around this and was basically told "we wont help you because maybe you stole that computer".

Reaction score
Wonder if it was the same forum. Its the main one I used for a long time. I think they got in trouble with Microsoft or someone to cause this kind of attitude.

Reaction score
I don't know but they weren't a very welcoming mob that's for sure.

Ask a Question