Folder D

Reaction score
I have been using Windows 7 for some time and was vaguely aware of the folder D but chose to ignore it.
I now see that it is becoming rather full and wonder what I should do, since I don't know its purpose.
This sounds like a trivial problem, but not to someone as currently ignorant as me. Thanking you for your anticipated kindness in clarifying things.
Ben

Reaction score
I don't know its purpose either. I've never seen a folder D. Do you not recognize anything in the folder?

Reaction score
I've checked the contents of the folder. One thing present states that its contents were placed there by my laptop company HP, and requests that I do not alter the contents of the folder.
This doesn't help with an increasingly filling folder. The folder name is in fact 'Recovery D'.
Unless something automatically reduces the contents soon I think I may find it necessary to contact HP and request help. I always think this should be a last resort for a floundering user. We shall see. Such help would probably be at a financial cost to me.
Thank you for your concern.
Ben

Reaction score
HP does have what is known as a Recovery partition. That is not the same thing as a folder. Hard Disk Drives(HDD) and Solid State Drives (SSD) can be partitioned into several different spaces. Each space can then be formatted for their own Drive Letter Association. Files within the formatted space can then be sorted with the use of folders (AKA: Directory). The 'Recovery D' you see is likely a volume name for a partition not a folder name within a partition.

The Recovery Partition is needed to set your machine back to its original factory condition in the event of failure. If you alter the contents of this partition you will (this is not even a question) damage the recovery process.

Ask a Question