SOLVED false drives

Reaction score
My 'Computer' folder shows 6 drives under 'devices with removable storage'. I have no idea how this happened. :(

I now have:
F: for DVD RW as expected
G: no such drive present
H: no such drive present
I: no such drive present
J: no such drive present
K: Zip drive, as expected.

This is not a problem, more of an annoyance.:confused: I have no idea what caused this display or how to remove it. I am wary of screwing with my computer without assistance.:eek:
Any input would be appreciated.:D

Thanx in advance.:)

Patrick Ahern

Reaction score
Click Start, then type Disk Management in Search Programs. That brings up 'Create and format hard disk partitions.' Clicking that brings up the Disk Management program, which might explain a bit better. It sounds like your PC has something like a Smart Media port or two.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, you will see that if you have a built in reader for various types of media cards. Each socket will have a drive letter reserved.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you go to DISKMGMT.MSC you can probably right-click on those multimedia drive slots, choose "change drive letter and paths" and select "remove". If you ever want to use the slot later you will probably have to come back here and assign the slot an available drive letter (but it would not have to be the same letter you had removed)

Once the old G: is removed you could also use DISKMGMT.MSC to rename your zip drive from K: to G: if you wanted.

Reaction score
This all makes sense to me now. I do have those card slots present.:rolleyes:
I do not understand why they have only appeared on their own in the last few months on this 4 year old computer.:confused:

Thanx again for answering my query. I will let them be for now, since I do now have a Canon digital camera.

:D

Ask a Question