Drives won't map, but RDP works fine

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having an issue with communication between my Windows server and my workstation running Windows 7 Enterprise. I recent;y moved both of these machines from one location to my current one. The server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 and has three drives I need to map. So when i moved both machines, I kept the drives mapped in Windows, but when i go to connect to them, I eventually get an error saying that Windows cannot access. So I tried dropping the mappings and doing them fresh, but same error occurs. The interesting this is I can RDP into the server form the workstation and vice versa without an issue. I also can see the server in the Network drop down under Computer in Windows Explorer, but when i click on that it says the same. I have tried connecting using different credentials, same thing.

I do have another computer at this location running Windows 7 Enterprise in which i can map the server without a problem, and likewise with a Mac running OSX Snow Leopard Server. So this is beyond me why this is happening. ANy help would be appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
I wanted to give an update on the issue, I tried this again this morning and I checked Event Viewer this time, and I noticed that there was a Warning message in there at the same time saying this: The client was unable to validate the following as active DNS server(s) that can service this client. The server(s) may be temporarily unavailable, or may be incorrectly configured. 192.168.1.1. This was on the workstation, I couldn't find any relevant errors on the server side.

Any ideas on how to remedy this?

Reaction score
I think i figured it out. I found that my firewall was blocked all connections from the server's IP address. So I added an exception for that IP and voila it worked. Who knew

Ask a Question