SOLVED 2 Seriously frustrating issue's!

Reaction score
For month's I've had a problem with my cursor disappearing from the text field, it occurs randomly but frequently, something else that happens in a similar fashion & frequency is during game-play the screen will minimise to the desktop without warning! Extremly annoying and devistating to my BF3 & COD Stats as I almost always die or let a teamate down when it occurs, plus it happens with basically every fullscreen game I own, Steam & Retail.
So I recently installed a new Mainboard & Ram with a fresh install of Windows & a new keyboard hoping for some change but the problem is still there, I guess having hardly any programs or games installed ATM may help diagnosis.

- I have sticky key's turned off.
- There are no prompts/messages on the desktop when the screen minimises.
- I have latest compatable drivers for my VGA card via official Nvidia site.

Could someone please throw some ideas at me? I have followed threads on similar issues but most were unsolved or abandoned,

I would be so very greatfull for any assistance.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
something else that happens in a similar fashion & frequency is during game-play the screen will minimise to the desktop without warning! Extremly annoying and devistating to my BF3 & COD Stats as I almost always die or let a teamate down when it occurs, plus it happens with basically every fullscreen game I own, Steam & Retail.
I suspect you are hitting a keyboard shortcut accidentally.
Possibly the Win Logo key + M (minimize all) or Win Logo key + D (minimize all & display Desktop.

Personally I own a keyboard that allows me to disable the Win Logo key with a switch but if you don't have that option then I would disable it with a registry hack. You can download it HERE.

Reaction score
I wish it were that simple.

This problem occurs without even touching the keyboard, for instance I was doing my daily brain train on Luminosity with interactive flash programs which only require the mouse & or arrow keys to function, besides I am aware & would know if I was striking the windows key.
I still tried the reg files anyway but no effect,
but thankyou very much TrainableMan for your input.

I still need help though, any more ideas?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Only two choices I can think of would be hardware problems - try a different mouse & keyboard ... or some odd software behavior - this might be hard to figure out. Personally, if a new mouse/keyboard don't resolve the issue then I would probably consider a fresh install.

Reaction score
Thanks again TrainableMan, my current W7 installation is only 2 days old as mentioned in my original post with service pack 1 and all current updates , I'm delaying the installation of games & apps so my system is less cluttered during this troubleshoot. I've tried a different keyboard (Microsoft brand) I'll try a different mouse next as you suggested,
thanks again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
With all you've tried one can only hope it's some short in the mouse :(

Reaction score
Ok, it's not the mouse!
Un-installed existing mouse drivers, removed mouse, re-booted,
tried another mouse with 'it's' drivers, re-booted and the problem still persists....BUT all is not lost, I dugg up a couple of working VGA cards, & PSU's plus an Intel Dual core CPU to test with, this way I can rule out each component individually.
I'd hate for anyone else to have to put up with this ****! so I'm determined to get to the bottom of it,
thanks again TrainableMan,
I'm still open for ideas 'til I get this done,
cheers.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I can't see how a video card or your power supply could cause what you describe.If it's not the USB ports, keyboard or mouse ... u replaced the mobo, keyboard, & mouse so, NO ... then I don't believe it's hardware.

What power settings are you using? Make sure in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options that you are set for High Performance.

There is also a thread here that suggests ways to isolate what program or service may be causing this issue.

What AV software do you use? I have seen a couple threads saying that AVG was causing the issue for them so if you use AVG try uninstalling it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, I'll postpone testing the hardware for now, I will be performing the "Clean Boot" as you suggested shortly.

I mentioned this problem has been with me for several months and I have re-installed W7 twice, 3 including original, with the original install I was using Avast "Free", 'actually I 'was' aware that users had claimed AV's may cause various issues like this, so upon my second W7 install I decided to try Microsoft Security Essentials, which seemed ok & didn't hassle me too much but the screen issue persisted so on the 3rd (current) install I went back to Avast, which I've been very happy with & using for approx 5 years collectively, any suggestions for a third AV to try-out?

Just one other thing, I have been experiencing fairly frequent drop-outs in connectivity with my TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Adapter despite the Router being stable most of the time. I'm approx 5-6 metres from the signal so I doubt that distance is a factor, should I remove it and try a game offline, if only to rule it out?

Thank-you again for the support.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just one other thing, I have been experiencing fairly frequent drop-outs in connectivity with my TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Adapter despite the Router being stable most of the time. I'm approx 5-6 metres from the signal so I doubt that distance is a factor, should I remove it and try a game offline, if only to rule it out?
I can set up a network but I wouldn't consider myself a network expert when things go wrong. Perhaps THIS from TP-Link can help?

EDIT: Hmm I just reread that and it's for a TP-Link router, not the adapter, so might not be what you need. You didn't really specify your brand of router so maybe throw that in here and somebody might have more ideas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I had to hold off reply's because I think you may have worked it out, or it was an update from MS, I just had to see if it was really working, after changing the the power plan to "Maximum Performance" from "Balanced" seems to have stopped the both the Screen minimising & cursor problem, at almost the same time an update had just finished installing from MS and was prompted to re-boot, ever since (last 24- 36 hr's) my system has been normal, TP-link drop-outs & all! Obviously the power settings "Shouldn't" cause this, maybe there "is" a problem with my PSU?..anyway, I don't really know what to say but "THANKYOU!" TrainableMan, thank-you for sticking it out with me. I just wish I knew how to conclude this thread!
"If your having weird/random screen failure and a misbehaving Cursor issues in W7, check your "Power Management Settings" in Control panel & make sure you stay up-to-date with MS."

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well part of the power options is of course sleep and hibernate the CPU & monitor but it can also power down devices it thinks are not in use, in order to conserve power. Some devices never seem to come back from this correctly ... the most common being the loss of network connectivity.

On a notebook, power saving can be quite important to people on the go, for a desktop it may save a few pennies in electricity, but as you've seen those savings can come at a price.

Max performance was the fastest way to see if this was the problem but if you have a laptop and want some of that saving what you can do is put it back to balanced, then go into device manager and for your network adapter, select the power tab, & set it to never sleep. Then you might have to play around to find the devices that would be causing your other issues. If this is a desktop I would just use Max Performance.

I will mark this as solved but if the issue returns you can always set it back in the Thread Tools above.

Reaction score
I've been to the most popular PC support sites with this issue & my post's didn't receive any attention, W7F will be my first stop in future.

A million thanks TrainableMan for your ongoing support,
all the best mate.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I wasn't on the right track in the beginning and it was just luck that in trying to fix a third issue (network adapter connectivity loss) that it seems to have resolved the others as well but I am very glad it worked out. Sometimes it is a lot of trial & error.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I notice that you have a desktop computer. Max performance power settings are what I use and I have the same CPU as yours.

I have a TP-Link wireless adapter too, the three antenna model and I also make sure the "Power Off" feature is disabled on the adapter. Go to Computer, Device Manager and double-click the wireless adapter shown and choose under Power Management the following: Uncheck the listing "Allow computer to disable this device to save power".

Ask a Question