SOLVED External Drive reads a wrong size total

Reaction score
Got a Verbatim 931gb external drive that I use for a backup with Acronis. I just did a disk image backup today that came out to the size of 79.2GB. I went to Computer in my start menu and noticed that my external drive comes out to the size of 813gb free of 931 which means the backup I just did should have been bigger than 79.2, so either the backup size is wrong or there is a wrong size reading somewhere that I don't see or don't understand. Any ideas as to why this external is reading wrong? I used disk cleanup before I did the backup and I have searched the drive with a fine tooth comb and have found nothing>

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just an idea...
Open Windows Explorer
Organize > Folder and search Options
View Tab
turn on "show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

Now view your external drive and see if maybe it has a few files/folders there that you just don't normally see.

Reaction score
Formatted it and that cleared it up. There was absolutely nothing left in there. I moved the backup to a temp spot and then tried to open the 39 gb that was left over and there was nothing there so I just formatted the external drive and that wiped it back too a few MB's. Strange.

Ask a Question