Excel slower than with XP

Reaction score
Good day

I installed Win 7 yesterday.

I got a nice worksheet and a lot of macros. I found that my Excel sheet is much slower thant what i was experimenting when i was using Win XP. Exemple: when adding space to a textbox, i could see my page refreshing, blinking

Same machine, same Excel application

Quad 6600
6 gig memory
Excel 2007
Win 7

Before
Quad 6600
2.3 gig memory
Excel 2007
Win XP

Martin

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's a strange problem. Do you have any extra plugins installed which could be causing this? You can try starting Excel in safe mode to see if this is the case, just add the /s switch to the excel executable, like this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /s

Reaction score
That's a strange problem. Do you have any extra plugins installed which could be causing this? You can try starting Excel in safe mode to see if this is the case, just add the /s switch to the excel executable, like this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /s

Thank you Yan

I will give it a shot

I think i have a general slow down on my system, so Excel may not be the cause. I'm looking at this possibility at the moment.

I just ran my System Mechanic application. First time since i installed Win 7. Was good with XP, don't know if it is as reliable with this new OS.

Any suggestion on how to maintain reliability of a system running under Win 7?

Martin.

P.S. Please excuse my bad English. I'm more fluent in French

Martin

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't rate the system optimisation tools very highly to be honest, although if you do run the System Mechanic application make sure it's the latest version they have available as it should be W7 compatible. The biggest slowdown to systems is the number of applications running all the time in the background. If you run "msconfig" and go to the startup tab, you should see a list of many of the applications that load each time you start your PC.

BTW - Your English is great Martin, so no need to worry about that :)

Reaction score
I don't rate the system optimisation tools very highly to be honest, although if you do run the System Mechanic application make sure it's the latest version they have available as it should be W7 compatible. The biggest slowdown to systems is the number of applications running all the time in the background. If you run "msconfig" and go to the startup tab, you should see a list of many of the applications that load each time you start your PC.

BTW - Your English is great Martin, so no need to worry about that :)

- Will check about System Mechenic compatibility with Win 7. System was slow before i installed it. Was a great tool for me with XP.

I got installed Win 7 pro version (X86). Is it a 64 bit or a 32. I read in the literature that the 64 bit should be faster. Yes i run lots of program at the same time

Maybe my video card is not powerfull ennough ATI radeon 2600 ( 512 meg).

For my application, i had to shut down the clear type application. I do text screen capture and this mode was causing problem .

Quest continu

Martin

P.S. Thanks for my English comments. I know that i made myself understood, just that sometime it produce funny phrases

Ask a Question