Enhanced Icons in Devices & Printers

Reaction score
Devices & Printers (D&P) displays the wrong icons for my MS Wireless Laser 7000 mouse and MS Wireless Laser 7000 keyboard.

1. I've installed the latest MS IntelliType and IntelliPoint software for the equipment.
2. The mouse and keyboard function correctly.
3. Software works fine.
4. Sometimes, D&P shows correct photorealistic enhanced icons.
5. Sometimes, D&P shows one incorrect and one correct icon. The incorrect icon will be a generic mouse or keyboard.
6. Sometimes, D&P shows both incorrect icons.
7. A reboot may or may not temporarily fix the problem. It's like a lottery!
8. I've used Device Manager to delete and reinstall both the mouse and keyboard.
9. I've removed and reinstalled the software.
10. I changed the USB port used by the mouse and keyboard.
11. I've updated and rolled back the drivers.
12. Nothing permanently fixes the problem.
13. If I disconnect the USB transceiver and then reconnect it. After a moment, the correct enhanced icons always display. But on the next reboot, the problem reappears.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
No new ideas from me.

Still having incorrect icons showing in D&P. I upgrade the Intellipoint and Intellitype software everytime there is a new release, but that doesn't ever fix the problem.

It's like a lotttery at Windows Startup: Most times the icons are incorrect. Sometimes the keyboard is correct. Every once in awhile, both are correct.

I have never noticed any performance issues with the mouse or keyboard. It's just an annoyance for the obsessive (me).

Regards

Reaction score
One month ago...

Installed new SSD boot drive.
Did clean install of Windows 7.

Photo realistic icons for mouse and keyboard (and all hardware) now appear correctly and regularly for last month.

I guess it's fixed.

Regards.

Ask a Question