SOLVED DVD needs different region to play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I just got a new DVD and tried to play it on my W7 Ultimate using Windows Media Player.
I get a message "Your system is set to DVD region 1. To play this DVD, set your system to region 2 or region 4".
How do I do that??:confused:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First of all, DON'T change the Region settings on your DVD drive. Only 5 changes are allowed and you don't want to mess that up or else you have to buy a new drive.

Try this website, the software is now free and I hear it works quite well. I have never needed to use it personally though.

http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

DVD Region+CSS Free works automatically in the background to make a DVD appear region code free and unprotected to any DVD player and DVD copy software. With the help of DVD Region+CSS Free, you can watch any region coded DVD movies with a software DVD player like PowerDVD or WinDVD! With DVD Region+CSS Free's help, DVD copy software (such as DVDFab, DVD X Copy, InterVideo DVD Copy, etc.) is able to copy DVD's which are CSS protected!

New Feature: DVD Region+CSS Free decrypts not just DVD's, it now allows you also to play, copy and rip protected Audio CD's!

Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru. It looks simple enough. Soon as the holidays over I will give it a try and will let you know.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What the region code does is attempt to control where that product is sold and used. Since you are region 1 that should put you in the USA or Canada. If that DVD wants region 2 or 4 then it was designed to be sold in Eurasia/Iceland (2) and in Africa(4). You may find it is also in the PAL format where here we use NTSC.

If you bought that on eBay you may want to complain. It was never meant for use here.

Reaction score
Thank you. I am in England, I bought the DVD from the BBC here so it should work. It works on my husband's lap top. I am puzzeled. Patti

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Some DVD-Rom support multi-region or no-region. It's simply DRM protection to attempt to control where a DVD can be played because often the DVD was available in one region before it even played in theaters in another.

If you are in England then yes you DO want to change the region of your DVD-Rom.

You should set it to 2, NOT 1, to match the region. where you live.

Reaction score
Thanks again. Ok, do you know how I go about changing the region where I live?
I understand you are only allowed to change regions 5 times. Patti

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Correct, you should not change it back and forth because the 5th choice will become permanently locked to that drive.

Control Panel \ Device Manager
Locate DVD/CD-Roms in the list and expand it. Select your DVD-Rom and double-click on it to open properties. Pick the DVD Region tab. Find your country in the list. It should tell you the old region is 1 and your new region is 2 and then you click OK.

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I followed your steps and walla it works. If only all my problems were fixed so quickly! Patti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question