DualBoot Problems with windows 7 & Windows xp

Reaction score
hi all,
I have Windows 7 and windows xp, if i switch os the computer restarts twice. can any one help me out. i have a video posted too please let me know why and what to do.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]wdePa36Lnno[/MEDIA]"]YouTube - Windows 7 windows xp dual boot problem[/ame]

Thankyou.

Reaction score
I'm dual booting 7 and XP, but differently.

I have a desktop, so I found an old HDD in an old network storage drive and put it into my computer. Then I installed it itno the new HD, and I simply go into the BIOS, change the boot sequence, and viola. If you have a PC as well, I recommend trying this.

A question: Does your laptop have a disc drive? If so, then do you have your original XP disk? If yes, then you can boot to the XP discs, chose "repair installation" and let XP do it's stuff. If I remember rightly, this will repair all the boot files and might help, although I would wait for a Mod to have a look before doing this, as I have never done it myself.

But if you can, the PC method is easier, as you can simply go back into XP, format the drive 7 is on and you're safely back to XP. If you don't have a hard drive lying around, you might be able to get a cheap 20GB drive if you were prepared to pay.

Reaction score
then you can boot to the XP discs, chose "repair installation" and let XP do it's stuff.
If you use a XP Boot Repair on Windows 7 you will damage Windows 7 Boot files

Windows XP does not now how to handle Windows 7 Boot files. It is best to use Windows 7 Boot Repair. Windows 7 has been programed to handle all previous Operating Systems.

Reaction score
There you go anthraxp. Although, if your version of Win7 expires, you can un-install 7, and then repair XP's boot files.

Reaction score
Personaly I prefer the use of a third party Boot Manager. I use Boot-us to do my multi-booting. It's easy to use(It was for me anyway) and works well with XP, Vista , and 7.

Ask a Question