SOLVED USB Drives Can't Be Renamed

Reaction score
Hello All,
When I insert a USB Flash Drive I normally see the device name show up in my file explorer (I use xplorer², but it happens with Windows File Explorer equally).

In the past, and despite naming the device through its Property's sheet, I'd occasionally get a flash drive without its user name, but with its Hardware ID, i.e., "Removable Disk (drv letter)". All I'd have to do is execute a "rename" command or rename it in its Property's sheet, and the device would keep its name in the future.

Recently, this has gotten much worse:
1. The external USB enclosed hard drive is now referred to as "Local Disk (drv letter)".
2. Only the Boot Drive (C:\) has retained its user name, so far.
3. No amount of renaming the drives, whether the external or any of my flash drives, results in the drive changing its designation back to the user-given name.
4. I've run SFC and on my main desktop computer the results are: found some corrupted files system, repair successful, while on the x60 ultrabook the results are: found some corrupted file system, but unable to correct them.
5. Following the 'unable to correct' system message, I did a complete uninstall and then using a good Refurbished System DVD, reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7.

Prior to loading any programs I attempted to plug-in and then rename my local disk and a removable drive, both operations failed. In fact the only drive I can rename is my C:\ (boot drive), though when I look for the other drives at a 'system-level' they do retain their user-assigned name. Put another way, looking at the drives in partitioning software, drives show their user-assigned names.

I've done multiple re-boots (hard and cold) without any results, and all 3 of my computers have this problem: a Lenovo X60 12" ultrabook, a Lenovo R61i 14" notebook, and a custom built high performance Quad Core desktop. I've also run scans using FRST, JRT, and Sophos virus removable - all report I'm clear of any virus, Trojan, PUP, etc. . My biggest concern at this point is that there is some sort of hidden partition that intercepts drive-level commands and either ignores them or 'interprets' commands and that might change a legitimate command into a command that wipes out the drive or disk.

Feel free to ask questions if you need information that isn't here. Grateful for any ideas or suggestions.

Regards,
BearPup

Reaction score
What I discovered was that my computer, that I had loaded a 64 Bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium on, was not designed to run on a OS 64 Bit, but only a 32 Bit Windows. I learned this from the refurbisher company that I bought the computer from, and confirmed it with manufacturer (Lenovo). The discrepancy between the two architectures showed up in corrupt drivers and the main hard disk controller. The only fix for the problem was a new hard driver with the OS pre-loaded, something Discount Computer Depot thankfully covered under their warranty.

While that took care of the immediate problem, I eventually decided to sell it as my other computers, and all my software (including graphics programs that only run in a 64 Bit environment) are 64 Bit, and I didn't want to have a 32 Bit backing up 64 Bit machines. Know anyone who wants to own an 32 Bit Lenovo, X60 complete with add-on warrant, 4 GB RAM... for around $100? To compensate for my 'loss', I purchased a brand new Acer 11.6" Hi Def graphics ultrabook - and that baby flies! Very happy Bear!

Regards,
BearPup

Ask a Question