Download Accelerator Plus (DAP)

Reaction score
DAP is a very handy tool. I have used it and still use it today. It integrates easily with Chrome and Firefox. Not sure about IE and the other browsers though. If you have a slow download speed than this is the program you need. It can download a 500 MB file in less than 3 minutes. Compared to the usual 10-20 minutes. Big difference huh?

I'll grab a link later. I have to go. But if you want it just google Download Accelerator Plus

okay?

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see how any Download manager is going to exceed an ISP cap on Internet transfer rates. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't expect the download manager to work miracles with a slow ISP contract.

Reaction score
No but splitting a file into smaller pieces and downloading each piece at the same time then putting it back together is basically what this program does. It's much faster because of the splitting it does.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I am not getting it. If I have a 500 MB file, and I download it at 1.1 MB/s (the max speed I get on my 10 Mbps connection), how is it any faster to download five 100 MB files at the same speed? If I download two files simultaneously, both download only at about 0.55 MB/s speed each.

Reaction score
I think they are all fake promotions that any browser's built-in download managers have been doing all along. I know there are a few benefits to using a download manager but I just don't see speed being one of them.

But then what do I know, I click the download button and watch my file download at my ISP's download cap. For me personally there is no need in using a different method to download my files. For someone that never can download files at their ISP's download cap, a download manager might be handy.

Shintaro

Reaction score
What the advantage is, is that some sites downloads are metered or restricted in speed. So by spawning multiple download processes you can download from the site at the max of your internet connection.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I download a lot of videos so I installed it just to see and first video I see absolutely no difference in speed. If the website throttles download speeds to the free customers then it is still limited to that speed.

The only way I figured this could work is if it found the same file elsewhere and downloaded pieces from multiple places but I don't see that happening here.

I'll probably leave it installed for a day but immediate reaction is "it does nothing over the built-in firefox download manager".

Plus it puts a folder in "My Documents" for "My DAP Downloads" which I find very annoying, that's what %appdata% is for.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
DAP and ALL other 3rd party download managers are basically junk.

The browser download apps work just fine whether it's IE or Firefox.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I tried DAP and it does have a feature where it looks for other mirrors to download simultaneously from multiple locations; this could be advantageous if one site doesn't provide enough bandwidth to fill your download maximum but in many cases it cannot find a mirror so it doesn't help at all then.

And on the negative side; I use at least two sites that say download resume is not supported for FREE users but with Firefox they actually do resume, with DAP those two sites return a Resume Not Supported message with DAP.

So for me, resuming on as many sites as possible is more important than the advantage of downloading from mirrors that I occasionally saw. I suppose it depends from what and where you download most often as to whether it would have any benefit for you; me I'll stick with Firefox's built-in download manager.

Ask a Question