Downgrade: Change Windows 7 Ultimate to Home Premium or Professional

Reaction score
If you have installed a preview version of Windows 7 Ultimate (e.g. beta, release candidate build 7100 or RTM build 7600) and want to install a cheaper version of Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional the installation is normally refused.

But with change of a registry key whilst installation you can fake a minor version - so you can install Home Premium or Professional over existing Windows 7 Ultimate.

Reaction score
Thank you for stealing my article: http://icrontic.com/articles/upgrade-the-windows-7-rc-to-retail

We published this article 5 days ago. You used the same steps in the same order, with the same changes to cversion.ini, and noted the same details (such as deleting the folder when you're done)

But what's really damning is that you also used version 7077 in the cversion.ini. Any number less than 7100 would have worked here. If you knew what you were doing, you would have picked one of those other numbers , but the fact that you chose 7077 as I did strongly suggests that you were looking at my article for inspiration.

You know what the most damning thing is though? Just give a read to the first paragraph. Notice it says "first to discover?" Yeah, we were.

Give credit where credit is due. Stop jacking people's source material, changing the words around and passing it off as your own.

Last edited:

Ask a Question