Downgrade

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a 64-bit OS & 4GB RAM on my laptop. However, I'm having problems with a lot of applications. Due to this, I'm planning to down-grade to a 32-bit OS. Is this possible without buying a new license to my windows seven Home premium?

Reaction score
I highly doubt 'downgrading' or messing around with your OS is the best solution for your problems.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd second that - I don't think downgrading from 64 to 32 bit would help (perhaps indirectly because of a fresh install).

What problems are you getting and we may be able to help get your laptop working as it should be :).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unless the problem is that your applications are 16-bit and cannot install them, then switching is not the answer. Except for the 16-bit issue, generally old apps either work or they don't regardless of whether it is 32 or 64-bit.

All switching will do is waste your RAM because only 3.25GB will be addressable with a 32-bit OS; that means less apps you can run at one time.

Please try to be more specific as to what apps and what version. You may want to type the app into the Windows 7 Compatibility Center and see if they work or need upgraded etc.

Reaction score
I'd second that - I don't think downgrading from 64 to 32 bit would help (perhaps indirectly because of a fresh install).

What problems are you getting and we may be able to help get your laptop working as it should be :).
I can't install the latest version of flash player. I think it's because I immediately check for system updates and install them. Should I turn updates off? Is this recommended?

I really don't know why I can't install some programs (flash player, safari web browser, google chrome). These programs worked just fine a few weeks ago but after a recent system udpdate I can't install them anymore.

I'm really a novice at these things... Thanks so much for the help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Flash player is from Adobe. System Updates are from Microsoft. They are two unrelated companies. Frankly Microsoft wishes websites would use their Silverlight product rather than flash so they could flush flash :p

What that means is system updates have nothing to do with Flash, Flash has it's own annoying updater. Personally I disable them both but I can be responsible enough to update my own periodically, most general users are better off leaving auto-updates on. For Flash updates I manually run Alternative Flash Auto-Updater; you might download and give it a try just to see if it can get you current right now.

There are several things that can prevent installs: insufficient HD space; your not logged on as an administrator; your firewall may be blocking the download; your anti-virus may prevent certain programs from running (usually this last case is for potential threats, not bona fide programs).

My guess is for you that your firewall is blocking downloads or you are not logged in as an Administrator.

Reaction score
Flash player is from Adobe. System Updates are from Microsoft. They are two unrelated companies. Frankly Microsoft wishes websites would use their Silverlight product rather than flash so they could flush flash :p

What that means is system updates have nothing to do with Flash, Flash has it's own annoying updater. Personally I disable them both but I can be responsible enough to update my own periodically, most general users are better off leaving auto-updates on. For Flash updates I manually run Alternative Flash Auto-Updater; you might download and give it a try just to see if it can get you current right now.

There are several things that can prevent installs: insufficient HD space; your not logged on as an administrator; your firewall may be blocking the download; your anti-virus may prevent certain programs from running (usually this last case is for potential threats, not bona fide programs).

My guess is for you that your firewall is blocking downloads or you are not logged in as an Administrator.
I already checked my firewall as advised by a friend of mine. It didnt work.. With regrads to my anti-virus (Bit Defender), I also checked if it prohibits me from installing programs... It still didn't work...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI, If you have a router it can also have a firewall.

Try Alternative flash Auto-Updater, if it is working you will actually see the percentage downloaded in the lower left - if it stays at 0 then the ports are blocked.

At that point I would do is completely remove Bit Defender including it's firewall and then try again.

Reaction score
Just FYI, If you have a router it can also have a firewall.

Try Alternative flash Auto-Updater, if it is working you will actually see the percentage downloaded in the lower left - if it stays at 0 then the ports are blocked.

At that point I would do is completely remove Bit Defender including it's firewall and then try again.
ok... ill try that one... i mean completely removing Bit Defender...

Thank you so much...I really appreciate the help...REALLY...

Ask a Question