SOLVED Downgrade 64 bit to 32 bit

Reaction score
I bought an Acer Aspire with windows 7 Home Premium installed. The software key label is on the bottom of the computer. I want to change to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. I have several work programs that will only run on 32 bit systems. I have downloaded the 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x86 ISO to a thumb drive. I have gathered from other forum articles that I can use the key on the label for the 64 bit installed system for the 32 bit system that I install? I also will make Acer recovery discs in case the 32 bit install doesn't work? This is a brand new computer so there is nothing to save from the 64 bit system is there? Do you have a procedure to install from the thumb drive?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off the OS that came preinstalled will NOT match the ISO you downloaded. The manufacturer almost always adds stuff to it. 85%-95% of the software they install is garbage and trialware but there may be a few programs of value such as to control extra keyboard keys or display onscreen volume etc; if you can't get them from the manufacturer then you may need to do without or find alternatives.

It's also a good idea to download the 32-bit drivers and have those on hand in case W7 cannot find them on it's own.

Article: How to install from Flash Drive

Reaction score
What makes you think 32 bit programs will not run on W7 64 bit? I run numerous 32 bit programs on my W7 64 bit. How much memory did this Acer come with?

Reaction score
I am an Auto Technician. I need to use an MDI (diagnostic Interface). There are no 64 bit drivers for this unit to run the software required. The Acer has 4 GB ram and 580 GB hard drive.
So - I backed up the drivers from the Acer recovery discs and let it rip. Everything went fine except there were no drivers for my network adapter. I got that from the recovery disc and then it all worked fine. The only things that seem to be missing are all the Acer crap. So there you have it. As long as you are loading the same edition as was loaded on the machine, you can use the same product key for 32 or 64 bit. Thanks to this forum I got it handled myself!

Reaction score
Reading forum & totally confused after having xpx64 microsoft had no upgrade for 64 bit sp3 am wondering if same will happen to (7) some programs would not load if sp3 not avail .Am novice so I don't know if 32 best or not! What does everyone think?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Reading forum & totally confused after having xpx64 microsoft had no upgrade for 64 bit sp3 am wondering if same will happen to (7) some programs would not load if sp3 not avail .Am novice so I don't know if 32 best or not! What does everyone think?
Hi sportster05 - Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website!

To answer your first question, Windows XP X64 did NOT NEED a Service Pack 3, only the X86 version. XP X64 was a more complete initially and didn't need an SP3.

Regarding your second question, I never had much trouble on programs installing or loading with XP X64.

Trying to second-guess Microsoft and what will be done regarding service packs is like trying to figure out the mind of a woman... nearly impossible. :D So don't worry about it and relax.

If you have 64-bit capapble hardware, then go with Windows 7 X64 version and take full advantage of the hardware and OS. :cool:

Ask a Question