SOLVED Does anyone know why Windows 7 does this when you move your personal files ?

Reaction score
Why does Windows 7 rename your Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos to My Documents,etc. after you create the new folders on a 2nd hard drive and open your user folder at top right of Start Menu and move your folders to the 2nd hard drive ? The folders I created on 2nd hard drive were Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music Pictures, Saved Games, Searches and Videos. I then open my user name folder (Keith), by clicking on my name at top right of Start Menu, selected Proprties for each folder, Location, clicked on Move, pointed each to corresponding folder with same name on 2nd drive and clicked Apply for each folder. Windows renamed Documents to My Documents, Music to My Music, Pictures to My Pictures and Videos to My Videos. I know they're mine, just like I know the pc is mine. That doesn't mean I like Microsoft has a fascination with and need everything to say My. It's not like I'm going to forget it's all mine.

Attachments

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I think, and don't quote me on this, that when you move the folders, Windows creates a desktop.ini file with the local resource name that just happens to point to shell32 which still has the "My" bit.

I just rename them, and in the desktop. ini file, change the red bit to make sure. the "@" is important I think, I've never added it off my own bat!!
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@ELMERS PIC's,0
IconResource=C:\Windows\System32\AALMER\ALMERCONS.DLL,1

Reaction score
Thanks Elmer. Which should I cange the name on first my Keith folder at top right of Start Menu or the folders they were moved to on my 2nd hard drive ? Also, in which folder to change the desktop.ini and what to exactly change in it ? You lost me on that one. I know they're hidden and protected by Windows, but I've never messed with them.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Thanks Elmer. Which should I cange the name on first my Keith folder at top right of Start Menu or the folders they were moved to on my 2nd hard drive ? Also, in which folder to change the desktop.ini and what to exactly change in it ? You lost me on that one. I know they're hidden and protected by Windows, but I've never messed with them.
What I do.
Create new folder with correct name on new drive.
Relocate folder to new drive.
Because I change my personal folders to custom icons, I get a desktop.ini automatically generated with info like this IN (most of) THE NEW FOLDERS:
Code:
[.ShellClassInfo]
IconResource=C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll,9
To this I amend, or add if not already there:- LocalizedResourceName=@""YOUR FOLDER NAME HERE"" ending up with
Code:
[.ShellClassInfo]
IconResource=C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll,9
LocalizedResourceName=@""[B]YOUR FOLDER NAME HERE[/B]""
I then make that hidden with read only properties. Finally go back to C\Users\My User Account and delete all personal folders if they are still there.
I'd then worry about changing folder names on start menu, quick launch, desktop etc. etc. making sure they are all pointing in the right (new) direction in properties. Might sound a bit long winded but becomes quicker after the twentieth time! Plus your doc's folders will be already set up apart from relocation on the next install.
I've even gone as far as making a "folder tree" I keep in my new user account folders on my "E" Drive. When I re-install I just drop that (paste) into my "C" Drive and instant shortcut set ups etc as it was before.

Reaction score
Once again thanks Elmer. Will do after creating a Restore Point first.

Reaction score
SOLVED. Renamed on D: drive by selecting Rename and deleted My from Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos. Windows automatically removed My from the same in my user folder. Reformatted external hd. Made new image with Macrium Reflect. All is good and can now use Windows Easy Transfer next week before installing new motherboard and ram. Afterwards effect shown in screenshot.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ask a Question