SOLVED Do I need 32-bit to run my DB app on a MAC?

Reaction score
I've just purchased a new mac book pro, and while I didn't want to run Windows on it, I was forced to by the fact that an old database programme, where I have more than 40 years research, is not Mac compatible (I knew this before buying a new mac). Having used Parallels 6 to install Windows 7 x 64 bit, and running both OS in coherence, I find that trying to install my old database programme impossible. I think that I should have specified Windows 7 x 32 bit at set-up instead of 64 bit, although I can't be sure that this is the problem in trying to reinstall this old Windows database programme. I have contacted the manufacturers of the old database programme, but they have not responded to my requests for information about their progamme and it's apparent incompatibility with my new set up. My question is, should I dump the 64 bit installation and try the 32 bit installation to see if this will allow me to reinstall my old widows database programme. Also, is there any danger to my mac OS if I uninstall Windows 7? Further to this, how do I go about uninstalling Windows 7 from my Mac using Parallels 6?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I went ahead and started a new thread.

You did not specify the application and version so we have no way to know if it is even compatible with the 32-bit OS. Please tell us what the app/version is before you even bother trying.

There is a compatibility center, HERE, where you can type in the app and version and it will tell you if it runs 32/64/not at all.

Note that many databases can be imported into other programs such as Excel and this may be another method to utilize your data (possibly even a MAC program so you don't need Gatesware at all).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply TrainableMan. I tried your link to the compatibility site and did a search, but my old database programme is not listed at all. Its name is Relatively Yours version v1.4.1382, which is a genealogical based database produced by Computability Pty Ltd (Australia). Any assistance most appreciated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I found a Relatively Yours version 3 and even that seems to have been pre-W7 and is not found in the compatibility center. This generally means it is not compatible or has not been tested but, a Version 1 I just don't have much hope for at all. Do you have a set of Windows XP disks/product key because quite honestly that is your best bet for such an old product, rather than running W7.

The other possibility, maybe Rel Yours 1 offers an export function so you can dump the info to a file using your old computer, which then a newer program might understand. Or if you can find out what the DB is stored as (example DBASE) then you may be able to find a program that can extract directly from the DB.

Reaction score
A few problems; firstly my old PC died last week and so the new Mac. Secondly, the OS was pre-installed OEM Windows XP Home Edition on a Hewlett Packard, hence no discs. Neither Microsoft nor Hewlett Packard give a damn about my problems. Fortunately I have backed up my data in three places. From the point of view of Relatively Yours (Computability Pty Ltd) I originally purchased RY11 and then up-graded to RY111, however, as I've moved house in the last twelve months, I can only find the RY11 disc. Where the RY111 disc is is anyone guess, perhaps in one of 32 unpacked boxes sitting in my garage. Stupidly I did not record before hand what was in what box.
I have contacted Computability twice via e-mail to no avail. I'm not even sure that they are still in business. Tomorrow I'll try and telephone them, as I have their phone number. Perhaps then I'll get a definitive answer.
The other good point, if there is one in this sad story, is that I e-mailed myself all my database in Gedcom format, which will give me access to my data, but not in its fullest possible detail, by downloading it into another genealogical database programme. Another way might be to find an old computer running Windows XP Home Edition and install RY11 onto it and either download a back-up copy from one of my three external hard drives, or from the old hard drive I took out of my now dead HP. Whichever way I go it's not going to be as simple as I had envisioned. Nevertheless, I really do appreciate your efforts to help me. Many thanks Don.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You might try the trial version of Rel Yours 3 and see if it will install under W7 64 and then see if it can handle the old DB.

Reaction score
Well I thought of that, but the trouble is that the trial version only allows a limited number of individuals to be entered, whereas, I have about 26 thousand people in my database. I'll give the forum a chance to reply. As the forum is moderated by the owners of Computability they might actually get motivated to help me out with another copy of RY3. In the past they have been very good at responding, but not on this occasion - so far!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You may have to "bite the bullet" and buy RY3 but I would like to see somewhere on their product that it actually supports W7 64 or even W7 32 before you even go to that expense. To be honest their site looks old and uninformative; I wonder if maybe it does not work under W7 and they are abandoning it/shutting it down.

Reaction score
Well I want to avoid paying again for something I have already purchased. I did telephone them, and am still awaiting their reply. If I don't get a satisfactory response soon, I'll have to take the issue up with our consumer affairs authority - they are pretty good at getting wayward companies to meet their obligations. You would think that a respectable company would want to maintain a good business name! I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers,

Don.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To be fair, they aren't required to provide you with support or free upgrades forever; they didn't force you to upgrade your system so I doubt you will have much luck that way.

Reaction score
No I'm not after any free up-grade, as I already purchased the up-grade about three years ago. I just want to get another copy of the disc, so I can reinstall it on my new computer. I've already told them in e-mails that I'm happy to pay for a replacement disc, which they offer to existing customers for about $10.00. It's just that I can't find my old RY3 disc, which is packed away in a box in my garage; I don't fancy unpacking and repacking more than 30 boxes to find a $10.00 disc.

Reaction score
No I'm not looking to get a free upgrade. I'm just looking to get a replacement disc that they offer for about $10.00 to existing customers.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah that they would hopefully do if they are still in business although if they are on version 3 and you still need ver 1 they may no longer even have them to ship but hopefully they can create one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good news TrainableMan, Computability came through and gave me an address from which to download an updated copy of RY3 and I have all my research reinstalled onto my new computer. All I need now (and I've asked for this) is the access codes to gain full functionality. Again thanks for all your valuable input - much appreciated.

Ask a Question