Does graphics card bit rate need to match?

Reaction score
I have a Dell Deminsions 2400 and I recently installed Windows 7. I have come to the conclusion that I just need to buy a new graphics card to get a normal sized screen resolution.

I just started looking at prices and specs and noticed that most cards are showing as 64 bit or higher. I don't know too much about this area, so I was questioning if that bit rate should match the OS bit rate which is 32 bit.

Thanks for the help! I have had quite the issues getting this old computer up to speed so I don't want to just assume on this one.

Reaction score
I just started looking at prices and specs and noticed that most cards are showing as 64 bit or higher. I don't know too much about this area, so I was questioning if that bit rate should match the OS bit rate which is 32 bit.
No, the two values are not related. If you have the correct card slot and the proper amount of power, you will not have anything to worry about other than drivers. You will however need to match your drivers with the bit version of Windows.

Ask a Question